Re: Has Windows-Installer always admin-rights?

MSI packages do not have system powers unless always install with elevated
privileges is enabled. Offhand I don't know why that application can be
repaired unless Windows allows such once an application is installed or
unless the MSI package has been assigned/published via Group Policy Software
Installation at the domain level . What I would do is to logon as a regular
user and try to install a new application to see if that can be done
assuming that the application is not published via Group Policy Software
Installation. --- Steve

"Dominikus Ernst" <dominikusDOTernst@xxxxxx> wrote in message
Hello,

I found out, that it is possible to launch a repair-installation-routine
of Acrobat Reader 7.0.7 on WinXP-ProSP2 as restricted user, by using the
MSI-File under C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Setup Files\RdrBig705.
I noticed that by using gpedit.msc one can change the behaviour of windows
installer, both under "user-templates" (?) and "Computer templates"
/Administration Templates/Windows-Components/Windows Installer (?
translated from German...). However, even by deactivating the option to
run the Windows-Installer with elevated rights under both "user-templates"
and "Computer-Templates", the repair Installation was still possible. My
questions in detail:
-Have all MSI-packages full administrator-rights?
-Isn't that dangerous? Couldn't come malware as MSI-packages and then
could be installed by anyone even under LUA?
-Are there restrictions like only installations wich has been installed
previously get elevated rights?
- How can I prohibit restricted users from being allowed to install any
MSI-packages, while admins are still allowed to do so?

Thanks in advance!

  • Re: Domain users
    ... As long as the installs are .msi packages or ... updates from Windows Updates that are considered critical updates, ... more info on using Group Policy to manage software installs which basically ... associated file such as a .doc file which would install Word. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy)
  • Re: Domain users
    ... So I guess there is no way to allow a user in a Domain to install anything on their machines? ... > As long as the installs are .msi packages or ... > updates from Windows Updates that are considered critical updates, ... > "George Hester" wrote in message ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy)
  • Re: Domain users
    ... As a regular user they will not be able to install much of anything. ... Group Policy software installation does not work for you, ... user wanted to use Windows Messenger in Windows XP. ... > As long as the installs are .msi packages or ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy)
  • Re: P4C800-DELUXE XP Install Problems --- Hanging
    ... Windows Install Guide by Mr Steveo from ABX Zone Website. ... Additionally, if you have a Springdale or Canterwood chipset motherboard, ... Install chipset INFs before any video or sound drivers. ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)
  • Re: Checking for the latest updates....
    ... It's a good idea to install them now and then check again, ... Microsoft Windows XP ... Windows XP Service Pack 1 ... Security Update for Windows XP ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)