Re: Symantec: Which should come first... the chicken or the egg...

perstare wrote:
I want to install Norton Internet Security 2006. I also want to
install Norton Systemworks 2006.
Which one should I install first?
Who can help me with this question?

I have spent a great deal of time on the Symantec site and found NO
answer to this question. I think I've the sequence right except the
the question above.

1. Uninstall Go back (v 3.60.211), NIS 2005 and then NSW 2004.
2. Check to see if Registry still shows entry for Go Back. If so,
delete it.
3. Then Install, if I can find out the answer above.

With Norton/Symantec and the problems you are likely to have in doing all
this uninstallaing of their products (they do not go quietly into that good
night) - you should use another one of their products (GHOST) before you do
anything - because it may just go bad on you.

Also - I think you may be slowing whatever speed you have down to a crawl.
Norton products are great - for the uninitiated and unwilling to learn.
Beyond that - they provide no more protection than other products and can
cause more trouble and use more resources than the other products. I'm not
saying not to use Norton/Symantec products - it's just the all-in-one
products that really seem to have the most trouble for Symantec/Norton. The
individual packages - although they can be resource hogs themselves - aren't
all that bad.

As for your direct question.. I was serious about backing up your system
first. I have seen what you are about to attempt go horribly wrong more
than once. lso keep this link in mind - it can restore your system to a
working state should Norton destroy it in the way I have seen before..

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

Then your order seems fine.
Installing - Norton System Works then Internet Security.

I really think you should reconsider though - I think you will be shocked
how much faster your system seems without those two things installed. heh

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

  • Re: corrupted profiles and much more
    ... I'm running Vista SP 1 x64 on HP/Compaq 8510w ... This is a clean install with only the OS, updates from Windows Update, most ... However all was not related to SP1rc and Norton. ... in Windows Local Security Policies and HP PRotectTools. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: The area for the questions is blank
    ... I think the "partial recovery" was, in fact, a Repair Install. ... If such was the case and you did not uninstall IE8 before doing the "partical recovery," your only recourse now will be a clean install. ... Here is the info on the computer and Norton. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: After SP2 Try getting the Live Update Patch and then Install SP2
    ... *By all means install SP2--you are better off undoubtably with it ... and NIS 2004 among other Norton ... then install SP2 and you should be fine. ... Windows XP. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize)
  • Re: Windows update total failure form 24th Feb 2009
    ... I will format & clean install. ... I did have Norton Internet Security 2004 before this. ... Set Background Intelligent Transfer Service to Automatic and verify ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: 96358 failed to install
    ... I suspect that Norton was running in the background when you reinstalled SP2 and this may have led to your issues. ... Other than doing a format/reinstall of Windows, ... Double-click Automatic Updates> Click on Stop ... After making certain you have a copy of your Product Key, uninstall all Norton software via Add/Remove Programs. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)