Re: computer Adminitsrator Password & network password

Computer Administrator query wrote:
Please advise if the computer administartor password used to log on to windows may be different from the password that is used to log on to a network server and internet connection.

Certainly. In fact, from a security point of view, they should be. The built-in Administrator account really was never intended to be used for day-to-day normal use. The standard security practice is to rename the account, set a strong password on it, and use it only to create another account for regular use, reserving the Administrator account as a "back door" in case something corrupts your regular account(s).

Routinely using a computer with administrative privileges is not without some risk. You will be much more susceptible to some types of malware, particularly adware and spyware. While using a computer with limited privileges isn't the cure-all, silver bullet that some claim it to be, any experienced IT professional will verify that doing so definitely reduces that amount of damage and depth of penetration by the malware. If you get infected/infested while running as an administrator, the odds are much greater that any malware will be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to remove with formating the hard drive and starting anew. The intruding malware will have the same privileges to all of the files on your hard drive that you do.

A technically competent user who is aware of the risks and knows how to take proper precautions can usually safely operate with administrative privileges; I do so myself. I simply don't recommend it for the average computer user.

Right now, I am using the same passwords for all the above-mentioned and I would only need to keep in a password once at Window log-in without need to key in further passoword for accessing the server. But I would now want different passwords. I am worried that any wrong change may cause inability to log on to the computer again. Please help urgently!

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin

Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? .... I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! -Patrick Henry