Re: No Internet Access for Laptop

This is one of those two part things -- can it resolve a name
like amazon.com (indicating that DNS is working) ??
I ran into an issue with my SMC router where if the DHCP
was not enabled (since I was using fixed IP's), the silly thing
would not forward DNS requests outside. If I turned DHCP
on in the router (even though I was still using fixed IP's) then
the DNS request would be forwarded to the outside.
If the name can be resolved, that indicates at least the DNS
is able to get out. Try pinging an outside address by IP
instead of name. See if that works.

Good luck
mikey

"Neil" <Neil@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:dscdn0$r5e$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi All,

I have a Toshiba Laptop that has been happily connecting wirelessly via Belkin PCMCIA card to my Netgear DG834G router (using WPA)...

Now for no obvious reason, it will connect wirelessly to the router, can connect to file shares on the other PC's in the workgroup but cannot connect to the internet.

What gives ??

I have tried both wired and wireless, PC Cillin on and off, Windows Firewall is off.
DHCP is on, the laptop is being given an IP address and the router is set to allow
all outgoing connections for the IP address allocated.

I'm wondering if anyone can give me some guidance as to troubleshooting this problem.

By my reckoning, wireless issues are excluded (wired doesn't connect to internet either) and PC Cillin / Win XP Firewall is excluded also. I have not had any installs recently and virus / malware scans (up to date def'n files) yield nothing...

This one's got me.

Connection settings:
IP Address: 192.168.0.15
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1 (Router address)
DHCP Server: 192.168.0.1
DNS Server: 192.168.0.1

Appreciate your thoughts.

Neil

  • Re: DNS: high CPU, no access, UDP problems?
    ... The network topology we have is as follows: There is one main wireless ... that router Another ... I first stopped the DNS ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)
  • Re: Testing environment question
    ... For your domain members to function properly they must use the local DNS server. ... Turn off the DHCP function on the router. ... You can set up DHCP on the DC or you can just configure the machines manually to use the router for default gateway but use the DC for DNS. ...
  • Re: Networking problems (again) tough one
    ... The problem *only* occurs on my Linux machines. ... DNS numbers, ... all systems start working again whether setup manually or with DHCP. ... If theu are shoing good, and yet things dont work, you may have a misconfigured router. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: DNS Problem??
    ... In the DHCP field at the router, ... > DNS but it adds the 'public' side DNS automatically. ... Do you have another SERVER class machine with the clients? ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)
  • Re: wireless homenetwork connection error
    ... router does not connect to a DNS, ... directly into my (vista ultimate based) computer, ... share the connecttion wireless into the rest of my house. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)