Re: Safe to connect to get Windows updates??

Make sure that the firewall is turned on before you connect.

Make sure that antivirus is running before you connect.

Windows XP survival guide, 'Windows XP: Surviving the First Day. (PDF)'"
http://isc.sans.org/presentations/xpsurvivalguide.pdf

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:1139159921.723397.216410@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
ehgoodrich@xxxxxxxxxxx <ehgoodrich@xxxxxxxxxxx> hunted and pecked:
I have been setting up new systems recently that come w/SP2. Since
that update level is 18 months old now, I wonder if it is safe to
connect these machines to the internet solely to go to the Windows
Update site and download/install security updates.

I ask because I know that prior to SP2, there were critical updates
that needed to be applied offline PRIOR to connecting in order to avoid
picking up nastiware JUST by connecting to the Internet.

Does anyone know of any SPECIFIC nasties that can attack a machine with
XP/SP2 and Windows Firewall when it connects for the first time??

Thanx,

  • Re: Guide to secure installtion of IIS 5
    ... don't forget a well-configured firewall. ... Do not put the computer onto the network or the Internet until after the ... Follow the instructions for hardening Windows and IIS at ... Install all service packs and security fixes from Microsoft and otherwise ...
  • Re: Is secedit.exe left by a hacker?
    ... > tested on port 445. ... > I have a Linksys router that I use as a firewall to my ... Secedit.exe is the name of a legitimate Windows file, ... investigate the files on your computer - antivirus with the latest updates ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: Is secedit.exe left by a hacker?
    ... >> tested on port 445. ... >> I have a Linksys router that I use as a firewall to my ... >investigate the files on your computer - antivirus with ... >windows and everything else. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: How to Maintain an IIS Server?
    ... > server running on a Windows 2000 server. ... before a firewall and antivirus have been installed]. ... open ports; however, this will not identify which program is using the port. ...
  • Re: password protection
    ... and cable] and should really consider Windows 2000 / XP. ... sure you're also running antivirus and firewall, ... Internet] to bypass this security. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)