Re: Critical Errors after a pristine install of OS

In news:2BCCC2C0-85DD-43E0-B9F0-67C4BECC3A06@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,
omi <omi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> typed:
Again it didn't went as it should :(
leaking mb's again
ZoneAlarm is stopping those MSN popups
and blockes a lot of attempts
tracking down the ip's shows 90% is coming from china

i give up, next time i reinstall i'll be having a NAT router
MS should include one when buying a winxp cd-rom that's what i think
or at least advise customers that their software is full of holes,
like Swiss cheese

thnx to everyone who invested their time and effort to try and help me
cheers
omi

How would anyone provide a NAT *router* on a CD? That's hardware.

You *have* a firewall. In fact, when you set up Windows XP with SP2
slipstreamed, the firewall is on by default. Do not connect your computer to
the Internet without a firewall....a separate NAT/firewall appliance is a
good thing to have as well, but if you aren't going to get one, do not
connect your computer before enabling your firewall. MS includes one in XP
even without SP2. Or use ZA. Your choice - but it's your job to protect your
computer, and you've been given the built-in tools with which to do so.

"omi" wrote:

thnx,

i thought the win-firewall was only in SP2
this might solve a lot
about messenger, i'm so spooked right now that i prefer to
completely delete this program from my system at next install, i'll
find other ways to chat with my friends, plenty of options. I just
hope that messenger won't be reinstalled when i install SP2 or
something, but for safety i'll make the adjustments to prevent
messenger from running also.

I hear almost nothing but critism about NIS, i guess it became the
victim of it's own popularity eh, a cooperation that big looks like
the ultimate target for hackers, like infiltrating into the fbi's
office or something.

Thnx for the ZoneAlarm tip !!
I had it on my 1st pc a few years ago but have forgotten the
excistance It'll be installed at next installation.
I'm testing it now and the Messenger pop-ups are being blocked by it
:) it's a start

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

Omi

You do not have to update before turning on the Windows XP
firewall.. either go to Control Panel and look for the Windows
Firewall icon there, or click on START - Settings - Network
Connections, locate your ISP connection icon, right click and
select Properties, click on the Advanced tab and check the box to
activate the firewall..

The Windows Messaging Service is NOT the same as Windows Messenger,
so you do not have to remove Windows Messenger..

Re. NIS.. any protection is better than none at all.. you should
ALWAYS install whatever security program you have in your
possession BEFORE connecting to the internet.. personally, I think
that you would be better off without NIS.. better to install
Zonealarm free firewall, and AVG or Avast free anti-virus if funds
are tight for you..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"omi" <omi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
question, u say:
Make sure a firewall is turned on.
How can i turn on a firewall the first time i connect to the net ??
There's no software that is updated, both NIS as winxp
I have to update first before i can turn on the firewall.
i can turn on an unupdated NIS firewall but i doubt if this will
help

omi

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

These are known as Messenger service SPAM.

Make sure a firewall is turned on. And you need to disable or
remove the Messenger service.

[[If advertisements are opening on your computer in a window
titled Messenger Service, it may indicate that your system is not
secure. You should enable the Internet Connection Firewall and
disable the Messenger Service in Windows XP to help protect your
computer from unwanted spam and
other potential threats.

The Messenger Service was originally designed for use by system
administrators to notify Windows users about their networks.
However, some
advertisers have started using this service to send information
via the Internet, and these messages could be used maliciously to
distribute a virus.]]
Disabling Messenger Service in Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/learnmore/stopspam.mspx

[[These messages are also known as "messenger spam."]]
[[To resolve this issue, install or turn on a firewall that blocks
inbound
NetBIOS and UDP broadcast traffic. ]]
[[To work around this issue, turn off the Messenger service.]]
Messenger Service window that contains an Internet advertisement
appears
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330904

Disabling Messenger Service in Windows XP

Messenger Service window that contains an Internet advertisement
appears
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330904

How to prevent Windows Messenger from running on a Windows
XP-based computer
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302089

Disable/Remove Windows Messenger

[[This is a Visual Basic Script file which will remove Windows®
Messenger from Windows® XP. It will also adjust your System
Registry to prevent a long
delay when opening Outlook Express when Windows Messenger is
removed or disabled.]]
Remove Windows Messenger
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_messenger_remove.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:94F6817B-494A-4C18-9F1B-9B3955720D99@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,
omi <omi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> hunted and pecked:
Hello,

i start this thread because i assume old threats don't get much
attention,
it's not my intention to spam or anything.

i changed my ip a few times and then released it
i disconnected the internet cable
i formatted my drive twice (normal & fast)
installed winxp-home (original cd-rom)
installed msi-mainboard (original cd-rom)
(rebooted when nessecairy)

when i inserted the internet cable to activate winxp:
- immediatly i have a constant up-& downstream
- after a minute or so i get following pop-up messages:

Messenger-Service
Message from MICROSOFT to USER
Critical Error
The Microsoft Windows system contains invalid registry entries
and your computer will crash. Please download the Windows
registry application from: www.fixed-pc.com
To fix your system immediatly

<<a few seconds later>>

Messenger-Service
Message from Microsoft to inform you about a virus detection.
Critical System Error ! The Windows registry appears to be
infected. Please go to the Universal Registry Infection Cleaner
at www.cleanmyharddrive.com to scan and repair the system
registry.

<< every now and then i get diverse popups like this>>
i did not install the 35,3Mb NIS, so that's not it
i only installed the original winxp & msi mainboard
no other hd's are connected
i did not load any files except the 2 i mentioned above (winxp &
msi) those 2 are on original cd-roms so they can't be infected

now there's no point updating winxp or msi
installing NIS & updating also makes no difference

At this time my winxp-key is blocked by MS because i have
reinstalled so
much, i have to phone them every time to get a new key which
contains numbers only.
The dude on the other side advised me to phone the technical
staff instead

of reinstalling all the time... because i live from my
invalid-payment i
do not have the money to do so, although i find that such
assistance should be free of charge.
Luckely there a free forums like this.
I hope you guys can help me out with this problem.

thnx in advance
omi

I tried scanning with all known security progs, no infections

.