Re: Should Messenger Service Be Disabled in Network Environment?

You certainly can enable it if you find it useful but beware that some users
on the network like to send out naughty/abusive messages to everyone or
specific users. You certainly could have a policy to not tolerate such and I
believe an event is recorded in the application or system log of the
receiving computer that shows the source of the message. Computers that have
their Windows Firewall enabled will not receive the messages unless the
proper exception is enabled in the firewall which could be from specific IP
addresses only such as administrative workstations.  --- Steve

<noneya22@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>I have a small networking with a SBS 2003 Premium server and Windowx XP
> Pro (w/ SP2) clients.  I have noticed that the Messenger service is
> disabled.  I'm not sure if this is the default or is a side effect of
> installing SP2, but I would like to know if there are any security
> issues I should be concerned with since all my clients are behind a
> firewall.  It would be convenient to use this service to send messages
> (for our internal use), but it isn't an absolute requirement if this
> would be considered risky in my networking scenario.  Any help would be
> much appreciated.
>
> Thanks!

  • Should Messenger Service Be Disabled in Network Environment?
    ... I have a small networking with a SBS 2003 Premium server and Windowx XP ... Pro (w/ SP2) clients. ... I have noticed that the Messenger service is ...
  • WinXP Professional "Firewall"
    ... saw blades, drill bits, etc.). ... all sorts of lofty claims during our initial phone conversation basically ... had to collaborate to make networking and the internet what it is today. ... expected me to be honestly impressed) that he had a FIREWALL installed. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • [SLE] 9.1 masquerading and firewall oddities
    ... I'm having troubles getting networking set up correctly in my fresh new ... I've found if I configure the Firewall for forwarding and masquerading and ... while the ppp connection is active everything ... I have a hotplug script for my ADSL modem that calls cinternet so the internet ...
    (SuSE)
  • Bridged firewall, port flapping
    ... Cisco Catalyst 2960G switch segmented into two vlans. ... Pair of Debian boxes with a transparent bridging firewall comprising ... Merely restarting networking, however, does not. ... iface lo inet loopback ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: More on garbage
    ... Are you implicitly assuming that the firewall implementor ... specify their networking properties in detail. ... It is very common for the action of opening or closing a port to ... Polite words fail me. ...
    (sci.crypt)