RE: root

Bob, thanks for getting back. I tried to hit F8 when the comp started up. I
am not even sure what to look for. I bought this computer and someone else
set it up. I have minimal computer skills and do not know the lingo. But I do
know that when she set it up, I have since not been in control. Does it help
if I tell you that after two months I realized that I was not the
administrator on my comp. After saying something to her and her denying this,
all of the sudden I was able to change who was the admin. Before, I could
not. I don't know if this makes sense, but it seemed like these changes were
made by her on another computer?? Tonight I right clicked on something on my
credit card account, and then hit properties. I said something was modified
or created on 12/1/05. I clicked the nexted thin, not sure what, and a
verisighn certificate something appeared. Something regarding remote access
transfer stuff. I have no idea except that I did not access this paticular
account on 12/1/05. On this credit card account, that I accessed tonight, it
would not even give me access to changing my password??? I don' want access
to her stuff, but I want to know what access there is to my stuff. Again, I
am now the admin. As far as root goes, I was also just wondering if there is
a way to view root settings. I control the passwords to even get on the
computer now. I think there is an overiding remote access though. Bob, this
may not make sense, but only because I am new to this and she is a master at
it. She claims she doesn't even know what root is. Let me know what you
think, and maybe I can give you clearer details.
thank you.
Harry

"Malke" wrote:

> harry wrote:
>
> > is there a way for me to look at what root settings are on my
> > computer. how do i look at what root is on my comp. Again I am new at
> > this, thanks Bob
> >
> > "Bob Bosco" wrote:
> >
> >> "Root" is the lowest level directory on a drive, and it contains all
> >> other
> >> directories. In Windows, root is represented by a \ (backslash).
> >> For
> >> example, " C:\ " is the root directory of your C drive. What
> >> exactly are
> >> you restricted from viewing? If you have profiles set up for other
> >> users, they have the option of making their files private through
> >> encryption.
>
> There is no user called "root" on a Windows system. If you find one,
> then either someone with physical access to the computer is playing a
> joke on you or your system has been compromised. There is
> Administrator. To log into the Administrator account:
>
> In XP Home, boot the computer into Safe Mode. Do this by repeatedly
> tapping the F8 key as the computer is starting up. This will get you to
> the right menu. Navigate using your Up arrow key; the mouse will not
> work here. Once in Safe Mode, you will see the normally hidden
> Administrator account. The default password is a blank.
>
> In XP Pro, you do not need to go into Safe Mode. At the Welcome Screen,
> do Ctrl-Alt-Del twice to get the classic Windows logon box. Type in
> "Administrator" and whatever password you assigned when you set up
> Windows.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

  • Re: Fork Bombing Patch
    ... if non root user request admin for more number of processes than root ... and if that user is not trustworthy and if does fork bombing attack it ... Perhaps you should file a bug with your distribution if you believe the default settings in limits.conf are too high. ... If we merge this patch, every cracking toolkit in existence will add such a feature, because log spamming makes it harder for the administrator to find more important messages, and even if the administrator uses grep judiciously to filter them out, that doesn't help if logrotate has already deleted the log containing the information they need to keep /var/log from filling up. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: root password setting unoffered at install
    ... Since, with RBAC you can't by mistake do "rm -rf /" and delete your own machine if you are currently active with the "printer administrator" role, for example. ... Whereas with the way SUDO is configured on Ubuntu, ... It is roughly equivalent to having a root user... ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: theoretical question - can roots username be changed?
    ... If everyone in the Linux world knows that the chance is good ... >>>that there is a user called 'root' on any given Linux box, ... >>whatever the system administrator wants it to be. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: SuSe 10.0 woes: /home disappeared
    ... >> As root user you have much more power than windows administrator. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: [SLE] Cleaning cups queue through ssh [SUSE 8.2]
    ... My mom has the problem that everytime she turns on her computer, ... I have ssh access to that comp; anything else she could do locally. ... If you or your mother have root authority, sign on as root or su to root. ...
    (SuSE)