Re: 2 pc network - can't see host files from pc 2 on pc 1

Assuming that you have firewall protection via your internet router try
booting computer one into Safe Mode with networking to see if that helps or
not. Also I don't recommend disabling netbios over tcp/ip in a small
workgroup because it will be needed for the network to work correctly.
Enable it on both computers and use the command ipconfig /all to make sure
it does not show as being disabled. Both computers should then show at
least three entries when the command nbtstat -n is run and one computer
should show as being the master browser. Running netstat -an on both
computers should show that ports 139 and 445 TCP are listening or
established. If you have not done so yet try accessing computer one via UNC
from computer 2 using the actual IP address of computer one. In the run box
of computer two enter \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx of course entering the actual IP
address of computer one. From computer two try using the telnet command to
see if you can access TCP ports 139 and 445 on computer one of which at
least one is needed for file and printer sharing. On computer one enter at
the command prompt telnet xxx.xxx.xxx 139 and if the port is open to you
will get a blank command line screen with a blinking cursor. Try it from
computer one and you will see how it works.

As far as permisisons on computer one while logged on as a local
administrator go to Windows Explorer go to tools/folder options/view and
make sure that the last option for simple file sharing is unchecked. Now
either create a share on your computer or use an existing share. On that
share right click and select properties go to sharing and select
permissions. For now give administrators full control and everyone read
permissions. While in the folder properties select security and make sure
administrators have full control and everyone has read and execute and list
folder permissions. If everyone group is not present select add and type
everyone in the box and hit OK and give everyone the permissions. Now make
sure that computer one has a user account with a logon/password that matches
what the user that logged onto computer two used. You can enter lusrmgr.msc
in the run box to bring up Local Users and Groups to create a user account
and/or change the password for a user account. The user on computer two MUST
logon with a password to access a share on computer one. If that fails try
to enable simple file sharing on computer one to see if at least that can
work. If you need to try that make sure the guest account is enabled on
computer one using Local Users and Groups again. See if any of that helps.
If it does not there may be incompaible security options on computer one
though that should not be the case if both computers have default security
options that would be configured in Local Security Policy or by importing a
security template. --- Steve

"CC" <hippiechick13-nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> [...]
> (Ive also tried turning off Windows Firewall)
> NEtBios is OFF for Tcp on both machines.
> Both machines have windowsxp pro with sp2 updated
>

> "Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> No you do not have to use ICS and should not use it when you have a
>> switch built into your router. ICS had it's day when most everyone was on
>> dialup. If your router/switch has five ports then plug your computers
>> into any port not designated as an uplink port [which is NOT the WAN
>> port]. I also assume here that you have configured your router to connect
>> to your ISP by entering the pertinent info into the part for DSL/PPPOE
>> which you need to do if you have not. The DSL modem plugs into the
>> "internet" or often called WAN port on the router.
>>
>> UNC is a way to connect to a server or share using the syntax
>> \\servername\sharename and can be done in the run box, at the command
>> prompt as part of the net use command, or in scripts. It is often helpful
>> to use in troubleshooting in situations where you can not access a
>> computer by clicking it in My Network Places which may be problem with
>> the "browse" not working correctly. The "browse" list is what you see
>> when you look in My Network Places other than shortcuts. --- Steve
>>
>> "carol chilstrom" <hippiechick13-nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
>> message
>>> If the second card is lost on HOST PC then DSL Internet does not
>>> connect.
>>> Don't I have to use ICS on the HOST in order for the 2nd PC to have DSL
>>> Internet.
>>> Following what the directions for the router and what ALL techs have
>>> said
>>> ...DON'T connect to the #1 (uplink)
>>> Are you saying the DSL internet should go there with the button not
>>> pressed
>>> in and then in port 2 & 3 the two PCs?
>>>
>>> I do not follow the last part of your reply containing this
>>>
>>> ""Also try to access the computer with the share by UNC with both
>>> computer
>>> name and IP address to see if that works or not. In the run box put
>>> \\computername\share or \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\share where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is
>>> the
>>> actual IP address of the computer with the share. Running netstat -an
>>> on
>>> the computer with the share should show ports 139 TCP and 445 TCP
>>> connected
>>> or listening.""
>>>
>>> I am sure that all the different tech people that have given advice and
>>> my
>>> mishaps have created many mistakes in WINXPPRO.
>>> Is there a way to remove ALL the work I have done and start over with
>>> your
>>> advice?
>>> For example I see several PC's on the network that I have created with
>>> diferent names.
>>> I have restored the host PC to before I started this and they are still

  • Re: preventing username enumeration on NT4
    ... I am the only IT guy for a small network that was ... it appears as though the attacker did nothing more ... Sounds like the server only has one nic and you have a router sitting ... By all means filter ports at the router - starting with the Netbios ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: preventing username enumeration on NT4
    ... I am the only IT guy for a small network that was ... it appears as though the attacker did nothing more ... Sounds like the server only has one nic and you have a router sitting ... By all means filter ports at the router - starting with the Netbios ...
    (comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.security)
  • Re: preventing username enumeration on NT4
    ... I am the only IT guy for a small network that was ... it appears as though the attacker did nothing more ... Sounds like the server only has one nic and you have a router sitting ... By all means filter ports at the router - starting with the Netbios ...
    (comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.security)
  • Re: preventing username enumeration on NT4
    ... I am the only IT guy for a small network that was ... it appears as though the attacker did nothing more ... Sounds like the server only has one nic and you have a router sitting ... By all means filter ports at the router - starting with the Netbios ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Sharing resources with another home computer
    ... that they obtain their proper IP configuration from the router. ... command line can be used to see what IP configuration a computer is obtaining. ... Be careful in that default share permissions give everyone full control. ... > only to network access while ntfs file permissions apply to network and local ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)