Re: How to unlock my PC

The screen saver might be configured to lock the computer after a period of
idle time and require password to unlock. If you don't know a password try
just leaving it blank to see if that works. If you can not work around it
you could try a hard reboot using the reboot switch on your computer or
shutting it down and powering it back on which should put you into normal
logon mode though could result in loss of data if you had an application
open when the computer locked. Also in XP Home you can often logon to the
built in administrator account by booting into Safe Mode and the password is
probably blank. If you are able to logon to your computer with that account
then you can give your user account a password you know or check display
properties/screen saver in Control Panel to disable your computer from being
locked after a period of idle time if that is what is happening. --- Steve

"Smoove01" <Smoove01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> My computer is locked out and I can't get in. A Microsoft Windows XP Home
> Edition window displays telling me to Unlock the computer. When I try to
> enter in any character in the Username field or password the window does
> not
> respond. After pressing the a couple of characters the screen displays a
> warning message "This computer is locked only Thompson/AL or an
> administrator can unlock this computer" I was logged in as a System
> administrator. I cannot do anything to my computer. Please help

  • Re: Thwart mandatory screensaver
    ... Alexandre Ferrieux wrote: ... Well, this answers the question of how much idle time has elapsed, but ... does not unlock the screen saver. ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • Re: Error on Exit Sub
    ... when I rewrote the wrapper function to ... > So it sure looks to me as if I don't have any window locked when I pass ... unlock an unlocked window ... I suggest that you /do/ get rid of all generic error trapping ...
  • Re: force password protect screensaver for client
    ... Lock to lock the machine. ... > I Enabled "Password protect teh screen saver" ... > machine so 'User B' can log in with there own account? ... It says only server/username or administrator can unlock the ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Never created a password yet locked out
    ... Hi Pat, ... username, leaving the password blank, and click OK on the Unlock Computer ... You can check your Screen Saver setting by going to the Display Properties ... Please do not send email directly to this alias. ...
  • Re: Switching from PC Front Page to Mac
    ... PageSpiller looked exactly as the input from FP. ... You just unlock them first. ... copied everything into an empty PageSpinner window and saved it. ... Seems like a lot of work, compared to th Finder method of unlocking. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.apps)