Re: Run defrag as non-administrator?

They may not be able to run the Command line version, but have you tried running the GUI version from the drives context menu?

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Russ Ringer" <nobody@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:b9hgq1tu3hnks78gao8lrkm3ibstoffhu0@xxxxxxxxxx
>I added Power Users to "Perform volume maintenance tasks" and
> re-booted but still got a warning, "You must have Administrator
> privileges to defragment a volume"
>
> So I tried adding Users, Everyone, and the specific user and rebooted.
> Same results.
>
> On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 20:14:46 -0500, "Doug Knox MS-MVP"
> <dknox@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>Click Start, Run and enter GPEDIT.MSC Go to Local Computer Policy, Computer Configuration, Windows Settings, Security Settings, Local Policies, User Rights Assignment. In the right pane, look for Perform volume maintenance tasks. Double click this and add the user or Group that you want to have this privilege. A reboot may be required.

  • Re: Win98 -- all kidding aside
    ... available to me through the GUI, ... the command line will always ... give the greater power and flexibility for certain tasks. ... things than Windows. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Tips for installing windows and freeBSD both.. anyone??
    ... How is this different from the command line? ... I'm just as dead in the water as with the GUI. ... but since it is internal to the app, and *not* part of the GUI, it doesn't ... the spreadsheet  specified the spreadsheet file to use, ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: My afternoon
    ... even a GUI" are quite silly premises for anything logical. ... Ever used the command line? ... distributed computer connected to a huge computer network ... didn't have a keyboard, too. ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Re: Access user input from command line
    ... I am trying to create a GUI with an edit box for user input ... below) in the command prompt or through other m files (I get ... % hObject handle to figure ...
    (comp.soft-sys.matlab)
  • Re: For The Newbies
    ... make such wild accusations about people that don't agree with your ... I SAID I was using KDE and KNode. ... uses Linux should _only_ ever use the command line and never a GUI. ...
    (alt.linux)