Re: Unable to Logon to another computer in Workgroup

"Kiasu" <kiasu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>I have 3 computers connected for sharing via a router. One is running
>Windows
> 2000, another Windows 95 and my main computer is using Windows XP.
>
> I have a shared drive on Windows XP which used used to be able to be
> accessed from the other 2 machines but for some reason, it now does not
> work.
>
> When I try to view this shared drive on Windows XP from the Windows 2000
> machine, I get the error message: Logon Failure: the User has not been
> granted the requested logon type at this computer. The User ID and
> passwords
> are correct. The network is correctly connected as I am able to view files
> on
> the Windows 2000 from my Windows XP machine.
>
> When I check the Windows XP security log, I notice the following:
>
> Event Type: Failure Audit
> Event Source: Security
> Event Category: Logon/Logoff
> Event ID: 534
> Date: 12/18/2005
> Time: 8:22:53 PM
> User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
> Computer: PC001
> Logon Failure:
> Reason: The user has not been granted the requested
> logon type at this machine
> User Name: my User name
> Domain: my domain name
> Logon Type: 3
> Logon Process: NtLmSsp
> Authentication Package: MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0
> Workstation Name: my workstation name
>
> I try turning off Windows firewall, but still it does not work.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Thanks...

If the password for the account is blank, Windows XP has a policy that
blocks network access (regardless of whether the password is correct or
not.) This is new to XP and was not in 2000. Is this the case?

--
Colin Nash
Microsoft MVP

  • Re: My Network Places and loss of access
    ... The main one is running Windows XP ... > problem until July 10th when security updates were installed by auto update. ... > User Name: Michael ... > Sometimes the Logon Type is a 2 ...
  • Re: My Network Places and loss of access
    ... Microsoft doesn't know why this happened they will be investigating it. ... The main one is running Windows XP ... > User Name: Michael ... > Sometimes the Logon Type is a 2 ...
  • Re: KB841873 update breaks Task Scheduler
    ... Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP ... 2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award ... and when entering a password for a scheduled task: ... >> logon type at this machine ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Unable to Logon to another computer in Workgroup
    ... in XP Pro then yes you want to disable simple file sharing. ... > had to do was to uncheck the simple file sharing option unders Windows ... > checked by new updates applied after the configuration was set up and ... >> granted the requested logon type at this computer. ...
  • Re: Unable to Logon to another computer in Workgroup
    ... thanks for responding to my request for help. ... the account used to access from the Windows 2000 machine. ... shared drive on my XP machine by clicking on it from my Windows 2000 machine. ... >> granted the requested logon type at this computer. ...