Re: Zip Files are Blocked

my xp is not sp2, so i cant't check, but if blocking features is introduced
through "stream" [as stated earlier], and since stream is ntfs feature [like
some invisible additional file property], could'n't it be removed ny simply
copying downloaded zip to some non-ntfs file system [like floppy or usb,
which doesn't support stream, so stream info must be dropped], and then back
to original drive and then oppened?

"photon209" <photon209@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> I'm also experiencing this. The wonderful thing is, there is NO UNBLOCK
> BUTTON on the properties dialog!
>
> There was another suggestion in the forum here that involved the policies
> editor which I am going to attempt. The settings in the policies editor
> for
> attachment manager are all 'not configured'. I suppose I need to do a
> reboot
> for any changes to take effect (making then disabled), so I will see what
> happens after doing so.
>
> If it matters, the .zip file I am opening was generated on a Win CE
> device,
> using the zlib zip code, and it opens just fine with WinZip.....
>
> The big question is (and I've seen this on more than one XP/SP2 machine
> today)..
> Why would I be getting the 'blocked' warning and no unblock button in
> properties?
>
> -ed
>

> "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Mark Jackson wrote:
>>
>> > I just installed SP2 and now I can't unzip files that are on our
>> > server.
>> > When I try to extract the files I get this error "Windows has blocked
>> > access
>> > to these files to help protect your computer" I know the files are
>> > good. Is
>> > there anyway to change the settings so I can extract these files? I am
>> > using
>> > the zip program that came with windows xp. Any help is appreciated.
>> Hi,
>>
>> Right click on the zip file and select Properties, and then the
>> "Unblock" button.
>>
>> This is new functionality introduced by WinXP SP2, and you cannot turn
>> it off.
>>
>> When using Internet Explorer to download files to a NTFS formatted
>> disk, for some file types (e.g. zip and exe), a NTFS stream is added
>> to the file that contains information about where it comes from.
>>
>> Some workarounds to avoid doing this on every file in the future:
>>
>> Option 1)
>>
>> Use a 3rd party zip/unzip program that doesn't use this new
>> functionality.
>>

>> Option 2)
>>
>> Don't use Internet Explorer to download the files, but install a 3rd
>> party Web browser and use it instead (it is IE that adds the NTFS
>> stream to the file with the information that the file comes from
>> Internet)
>>

>> Option 3)
>>
>> If you must/want to use IE to download the files, use the command line
>> tool Streams.exe to purge any streams from the files after they are
>> downloaded.
>>
>> You can download Streams from here:
>> http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Streams.html
>>
>> I suggest you put Streams.exe in the C:\Windows\System32\ folder to
>> have it in the path.
>>
>> Now, when you want to clean out all the streams in files in a folder
>> inclusive subfolders, do the following:

> [...]

  • Re: Zip Files are Blocked
    ... > which doesn't support stream, so stream info must be dropped], and then back ... >>> Don't use Internet Explorer to download the files, ... >>> command prompt completely) and in Explorer locate the folder you want ... >>> Drag the folder from the Explorer window into the command prompt. ...
  • Re: Assembly conversion to Pocket Pc format
    ... But in my case it is throwing exception before executing that statement what ... That is before reading buffer size it is throwing ... Stream respStream = resp.GetResponseStream; ... upload and download files in compact framework. ...
  • Re: Assembly conversion to Pocket Pc format
    ... except the error message "An error message ... I could download all other type of files as given in the below ... detailed information on the exception, but from the error it looks like CF ... Stream respStream = resp.GetResponseStream; ...
  • Re: Assembly conversion to Pocket Pc format
    ... to change the ext from dll to txt. ... That what I need to do to download ... HttpWebResponse resp = req.GetResponse; ... Stream respStream = resp.GetResponseStream; ...
  • Re: Assembly conversion to Pocket Pc format
    ... This exception could be for many reasons. ... HttpWebResponse resp = req.GetResponse; ... Stream respStream = resp.GetResponseStream; ... upload and download files in compact framework. ...