Re: Network/Security issue with $ shares

Resolved, thank you.

"Steven L Umbach" wrote:

> Is simple file sharing disabled on the XP Pro computer? If not try
> disabling it to see if that makes any difference. Use Windows
> Explorer/tools/folder options/view - use simple file sharing and uncheck it
> to disable it. It is the last item in the list. --- Steve
>

> "Devi" <Devi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> > net use displays:
> >
> > "New connections will be remembered.
> >
> > There are no entries in the list."
> >
> > The Security Log does not show any failed logins.
> >
> > Even after enabling the "Audit account logon events" (success/failure), it
> > does not appear in the Security Log.
> >
> > "Steven L Umbach" wrote:
> >
> >> See the first link below that explains what is going on as it sounds as
> >> if
> >> you already have a connection to the computer. You can use the command
> >> net
> >> use to see if you have any sessions to the computer which could be due to
> >> mapped drive or such using persistent credentials. I would also look in
> >> the
> >> security log of the XP computer for failed logons that may explain more
> >> of
> >> what is going on. You can use Local Security Policy to make sure that
> >> auditing of loon events is enabled. ---- Steve

> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q248260 --- how
> >> enable auditing and also works in XP Pro.
> >>
> >> "Devi" <Devi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

  • Re: Logging login event
    ... You won't see an IP address in the security log but you should see a type 3 ... network logon if any other user has accessed your computer from the network ... work to see what are established connections that you have to another ... BTW I have figured out how to log login events? ...
  • Re: Could it be a hacker ?
    ... The connections and particularly the fact that the security log has been cleared ... server is being used to browse the internet perhaps. ... processes/applications the port connections are associated with. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)