user accounts and keeping files secure

HI,

I have windows XP home and am computer administrator on the user accounts. I have a son who has his own account, and is limited user.

I was under the impression that he could not see or access MY folders, unless I specifically "shared" them. However, when I looked on his screen I was able to open my private files, yet they are not ticked for sharing.

Am I missing something here, any advice please. I am happy for him to share certain folders etc, but not all my private folders.

Thank you

Colin

  • Re: New UserIDs created by MS .NET FRamework.
    ... Before installing this software I had the usual set of 'user folders' defined in my Win XP system, ... Network Service.NT AUTHORITY ... If you aren't using this OEM user account, you can delete it from the User Accounts applet in Control Panel. ... My Network Places - This is a graphical representation of other computers on the network and any shared network resources. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Limited Users / No AV software --How Safe
    ... virus defs to be automatically downloaded and installed by limited ... install virus defs in a limited user account, I couldn't install *most* viruses either. ... other exploit potentially deal with limited user accounts? ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Limited Users / No AV software --How Safe
    ... virus defs to be automatically downloaded and installed by limited ... install virus defs in a limited user account, I couldn't install *most* viruses either. ... other exploit potentially deal with limited user accounts? ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Is Win XP (Home) fatally flawed?
    ... The recovery routine in question looked quite good, ... I recreated new user accounts and tried to copy over the contents ... for the folders, took ownership, unchecked Read Only etc, even gave the ... What with hard drives being so big nowadays and everyone with IPods and ...
  • Re: File sharing over a wireless network.
    ... User accounts do not match on each???? ... The wireless computer can access the Internet ... folders on the wireless computer. ... computer from the wireless machine. ...