Re: Windows crashed, EFS-Files lost???

WindowsXPSP2crashedEFSDatalost@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> "Advanced EFS Data Recovery"
> The problem is, that aefsdr is just for SP1 and i own a SP2, so the tool
> can't find the data.

On their homepage they explicitly include XP SP2:

| Advanced EFS Data Recovery (or AEFSDR) is a program to recover (decrypt)
| files encrypted on NTFS (EFS) partitions created in Windows 2000,
| Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. [..] AEFSDR [..] decrypts the files
| under [..] Windows XP (including Service Packs 1 and 2) [..]

> It's funny, when i want to access my data (Documents and
> Settings/me) throught the Explorer, it always tells me, that i have not
> enough priviledges, but aefsdr shows me all the folders and files in the
> "Documents and Settings" Folder (but it's not possible to open or copy the
> files).

Did you corrected the NTFS security - give you current account full control
for the needed folders?

> looks good, but i am not sure, if this works also in SP2, do u know if it
> works?

AFAIK there is absolutely no difference between EFS in XP SP1 and SP2. The
last change was the possibility tu use AES as cipher which was introduced
with XP SP1.