Re: Windows crashed, EFS-Files lost???

WindowsXPSP2crashedEFSDatalost@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> "Advanced EFS Data Recovery" http://www.elcomsoft.com/aefsdr.html
>
> The problem is, that aefsdr is just for SP1 and i own a SP2, so the tool
> can't find the data.

On their homepage they explicitly include XP SP2:

| Advanced EFS Data Recovery (or AEFSDR) is a program to recover (decrypt)
| files encrypted on NTFS (EFS) partitions created in Windows 2000,
| Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. [..] AEFSDR [..] decrypts the files
| under [..] Windows XP (including Service Packs 1 and 2) [..]

> It's funny, when i want to access my data (Documents and
> Settings/me) throught the Explorer, it always tells me, that i have not
> enough priviledges, but aefsdr shows me all the folders and files in the
> "Documents and Settings" Folder (but it's not possible to open or copy the
> files).

Did you corrected the NTFS security - give you current account full control
for the needed folders?

> looks good, but i am not sure, if this works also in SP2, do u know if it
> works?

AFAIK there is absolutely no difference between EFS in XP SP1 and SP2. The
last change was the possibility tu use AES as cipher which was introduced
with XP SP1.

Jan
.