Re: Windows crashed, EFS-Files lost???

WindowsXPSP2crashedEFSDatalost@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> "Advanced EFS Data Recovery" http://www.elcomsoft.com/aefsdr.html
>
> The problem is, that aefsdr is just for SP1 and i own a SP2, so the tool
> can't find the data.

On their homepage they explicitly include XP SP2:

| Advanced EFS Data Recovery (or AEFSDR) is a program to recover (decrypt)
| files encrypted on NTFS (EFS) partitions created in Windows 2000,
| Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. [..] AEFSDR [..] decrypts the files
| under [..] Windows XP (including Service Packs 1 and 2) [..]

> It's funny, when i want to access my data (Documents and
> Settings/me) throught the Explorer, it always tells me, that i have not
> enough priviledges, but aefsdr shows me all the folders and files in the
> "Documents and Settings" Folder (but it's not possible to open or copy the
> files).

Did you corrected the NTFS security - give you current account full control
for the needed folders?

> looks good, but i am not sure, if this works also in SP2, do u know if it
> works?

AFAIK there is absolutely no difference between EFS in XP SP1 and SP2. The
last change was the possibility tu use AES as cipher which was introduced
with XP SP1.

Jan

  • Re: Deleting downloaded Service Pack 2??
    ... > like to know is what files are safe to remove once SP2 is up and running? ... The two folders above is system folders and you should not ... SP1 installation, you can delete those. ... -- torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of the 1328 page Scripting Guide: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Cant repair XP Pro after installing SP2
    ... In regard to making a Win XP SP2 slipstream CD, ... I have WIN XP PRO SP1 CD ... OR do I move all the folders including the SP1 folder ... I installed SP2 on all my XP Pro ...
  • RE: SP1 Hotfixes still listed in C:Windows
    ... Sp1 was automatically replaced by SP2 they took out the old ones and replaced ... let the downloads come down via Auto download... ... Some of these folders have as many ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Deleting erroneous SP1&2 folders
    ... there are SP1 and SP2. ... tried to install XP Home SP1 from the internet. ... The folders are not in the root drive, ...
    (microsoft.public.office.misc)
  • Re: Deleting erroneous SP1&2 folders