Re: Admin can't 'see' or access a User account

From: Doug Knox MS-MVP (dknox_at_mvps.org)
Date: 11/27/05

Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 16:39:42 -0500

XP PRO: In Windows Explorer, go to Tools, Folder Options, View and uncheck Use Simple File Sharing. Now, when you right click on a drive, folder or file (on an NTFS partition) and select Properties, you'll see a Security tab. Here you can assign or deny permissions based on user name or user group membership.

XP Home: By default, you can only make files and folders under My Documents "private". This is done by right clicking a folder or file and selecting Properties, Sharing. To change the permissions on other folders, you need to boot the computer to Safe Mode and log in on the built in Administrator account. In this mode, you'll see the Security tab in Properties, and you can assign permissions based on user name or group membership.

HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418

HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and Folders
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;308419

HOW TO: Disable Simplified Sharing and Password-Protect a Shared Folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307874

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"andyed" <andyed.1z6a41@pcbanter.net> wrote in message news:andyed.1z6a41@pcbanter.net...

> Long story, but a friend of mine has been and tinkered with the settings
> on my PC (without my knowledge) to 'hide' and deny access to one of the
> accounts on my PC - even from the Administrator. If I go into My
> Computer/Documents and Settings  I can see the account folder in
> question but get the 'Access Denied' dialogue box when I try to open
> it. However in the My Computer 'home screen' the account is not shown
> alongside the others on the PC.
> Does anyone have any idea what this friend has done? Because I'm
> stumped, and for various reasons I can't ask him.
>
> Any help much appreciated.
>

> --
> andyed

Relevant Pages

  • Re: New Disk File Problem
    ... I am running Windows XP PROFESSIONAL sp2. ... This is not your administrator account, ... >> Open Explorer, go to Tools and Folder Options, on the view tab, scroll to ...
  • Re: New Disk File Problem
    ... I am running Windows XP PROFESSIONAL sp2. ... This is not your administrator account, ... >> Open Explorer, go to Tools and Folder Options, on the view tab, scroll to ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize)
  • Re: New Disk File Problem
    ... I am running Windows XP PROFESSIONAL sp2. ... This is not your administrator account, ... >>> Open Explorer, go to Tools and Folder Options, on the view tab, scroll ...
  • Re: New Disk File Problem
    ... I am running Windows XP PROFESSIONAL sp2. ... This is not your administrator account, ... >>> Open Explorer, go to Tools and Folder Options, on the view tab, scroll ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize)
  • Re: New Disk File Problem
    ... This is not your administrator account, ... Open Explorer, go to Tools and Folder Options, on the view tab, scroll to ... > I have gone to windows explorer tools and selected folder options and the> view tab. ...