Re: lost admin passwords

From: Steven L Umbach (n9rou_at_n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net)
Date: 11/26/05

Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 01:04:44 -0600

OK. I did not realize they were all PCMCIA devices. The things I would try
from here are to buy an internal cdrom for the computer from a source like
Ebay. The link below is a possibility but I don't know if that will work
depending your model number. Another possibility is to try and put your
computers hard drive in another computer which may need to be the primary
drive and then boot from the password change floppy disk to see if you can
reset the password that way. There are cheap kits that allow you to put
laptop hard drives in desktop computers as shown in the second link below. I
don't know how hard it would be to remove the hard drive. Some computers
like Thinkpads make it very easy and other like Toshiba can make it
difficult without a service manual. --- Steve

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fujitsu-E-Lifebook-CD-ROM-Drive-E330-E362-CP004323-02_W0QQitemZ6768945048QQcategoryZ80198QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=HD-108&cat=HDD

"Dan Pellegrini" <DanPellegrini@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> well there is no floopy, i was only able to put a usb floopy and the cmos
> wont boot from it. The PCMCIA CD drive is not bootable from the CMOS
> without
> running this software they h ave, which would not run becuase i could not
> get
> to the dos prompt in XP pro... by the way.... without the admin
> password......
>
> thanks
>

> "Steven L Umbach" wrote:
>
>> What about the cdrom?? Did you access cmos to see what settings are
>> available? Try booting into safe mode and try to logon as administrator
>> with
>> a blank password as that often works in XP Home. As far as the floppy I
>> can't see how running an application so that Windows can see it is
>> relevant
>> to booting from the floppy because that would bypass loading Windows
>> anyhow.
>> Try emailing the manufacturer. I am sure they would have a way to install
>> the operating system. --- Steve
>>

>> "Dan Pellegrini" <DanPellegrini@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> >i spent several hours with there online chat help, and i have the same
>> > manufacture pcmcia drive but they have a program that has to be run
>> > from
>> > the
>> > dos promt to enable it to be seen before windows loads, but i need the
>> > admin
>> > password to load the program. The system would normaly come with a
>> > recovery
>> > partition, but my frined a doctor... didn't know better and removed it.
>> > its
>> > quite a catch 22, unless there's a way to crack or reset the pasword
>> > without
>> > booting. If I could boot i'd have no probelm reformating the harddrive
>> > at
>> > all

Relevant Pages

  • Re: OT-VA laptop recovered............
    ... I think you assume that government computers have no security on then ... hard drives are encrypted as is any ... You say you're "in the business"? ... Passwords, in general, are not very good protection. ...
    (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)
  • Re: OT-VA laptop recovered............
    ... I think you assume that government computers have no security on then ... hard drives are encrypted as is any ... You say you're "in the business"? ... Passwords, in general, are not very good protection. ...
    (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)
  • Re: AfterMarket Inks VERY Reliable-President AMIIC
    ... external hard drive for backup and I also have DVD copies as well. ... DIGITAL FILES DON'T FADE!!!! ... There are several computers in our house and ... hard drives are cheap, dependable, much faster and now with the USB boxes ...
    (comp.periphs.printers)
  • Re: 386sx/25mhz compatibility
    ... I'd need to add hard drives also, ... a better computer out of the garbage. ... Pentium, mid-2001, suddenly better computers started appearing. ... later, I got a 50MHz 486 with 16megs of memory, for ten dollars. ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: Havent I been quiet?
    ... If you only plug in the back-up disk once every few months to do a big backup, then there's very little wear and tear on it. ... I lean towards using hard drives as long term storage and back up. ... But I also believe in multiple computers for file storage, ... I had a collection of hard drives from companies and personal use and dissembled them and plan to make a sculpture from the platters with my tig welder. ...
    (rec.autos.sport.f1)