Re: Recover encrypted file?

From: Kerry Brown (kerry_at_kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m)
Date: 11/26/05

Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 20:31:37 -0800

"Don Allen" <Don Allen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:A649EC21-9168-4AE0-84E6-9718E317CE2C@microsoft.com...
> My wife was running Windows XP Pro on her laptop. She had a Microsoft Word
> document containing various passwords. I (foolishly, it turns out)
> suggested
> that she encrypt the file, which she did with the normal XP encryption
> mechanism. The laptop suffered a catastrophic hardware failure and is no
> longer in service. I have a backup tape of the whole system that was done
> with the XP backup accessory. I've restored that to another XP system and
> find that I cannot decrypt that file, even logged in as administrator
> (I've
> seen comments in help documents that suggest that the administrator is the
> default designated recovery agent; well, apparently not in this case). The
> help information for this is so confusing it, too, might as well be
> encrypted. I am a computer professional -- I wrote my first computer
> program
> as a college student in 1960! -- and have done a good deal of operating
> systems programming myself, so I'm not a novice. Can someone cut through
> all
> this crazy complexity and suggest how I might decrypt this file?

If you backed up the system state and the user's profile you should be able
to recover the key to access the encrypted files.

If you have a full backup including the system state then you can perform a
clean install of Windows then restore that backup, logon as the user and you
should have access. Note this will overwrite whatever you currently have on
the drive so make sure that is backed up first. When finished copying the
encrypted files to CD or floppy you would have to perform the same operation
again restoring this new backup.

If the backup does not include the system state but does include the user
profile with the key then there is 3rd party software that may be able to
recover the key and decrypt the files.

http://www.elcomsoft.com/aefsdr.html

Note: I have not personally tried this software. Others have reported
varying degrees of success.

Kerry

Relevant Pages

  • EFS and restoring backup
    ... If I do a backup of system state using ntbackup and one day I have ... is all the encrypted files still can be ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Backing up to a networked pc-problem
    ... I have successfully used XP backup to backup my own documents and also to ... backup the system state on my laptop to a CD-R ... I have also transferred files from my laptop to my desktop on the ... Blair Malcolm ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Windows XP Home - Encryption nightmare
    ... backup. ... When I access the external drive with the encrypted files with a new laptop, I am not able to open the files as the Properties>General>Advanced>Encrypt Attributes command is not available. ... Since XP Home does not have any native encryption ability, you must have used a third-party encryption program. ...
  • Re: ntbackup & System Files
    ... The Automated System Recovery Preparation Wizard backs up the System State ... In Backup, a collection of system-specific data maintained by the operating ... database (if the server is a certificate server). ... ASR disk. ...
  • Re: Error backing up the System State
    ... I tried using NTBackup to only back up the System State. ... I started this service and tried another System State backup with the same error as I reported above in item 1. ... Do you think there could be a problem with that, perhaps a different service pack level from the instance installed by SBS? ... If you have issues regarding other Microsoft products, you'd better post in the corresponding newsgroups so that they can be resolved in an efficient and timely manner. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)