Re: Windows XP "no file access"

From: Nepatsfan (nepatsfan_at_SBXXXIX.com)
Date: 11/26/05

Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 20:06:57 -0500

Cuz wrote:
> I had to reinstall XP yesterday, and during the process many
> of my files were backed up into a directory named My Backup.
> Many of the files I recovered and have access, but many
> others I cannot move, copy or open. I believe this has
> something to do with re-naming "My Full Computer name" when
> seting up the new install of XP, which locked the files?
> Is there something I can change to allow me the "Owner" to
> regain access to those files.
>
> Thanks

You may need to take ownership of the files. Take a look here
for
the procedure:

Note: If you are running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, you
must start the computer in safe mode, and then log on with an
account that has Administrative rights to have access to the
Security tab. To start in Safe Mode, reboot your computer and
start tapping the F8 key as soon as you see anything displayed
on the screen. Keep hitting F8 until the Advanced Startup
Options menu appears. Use the up and down arrow keys on your
keyboard to select Safe Mode. Hit Enter.

Good luck

Nepatsfan

Relevant Pages

  • Re: c:Documents and SettingsUsername is not accessible
    ... How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP ... If you are running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, ... To start in Safe Mode, ... Use the up and down arrow keys on your ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: F&STW question
    ... How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP ... If you are running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, ... To start in Safe Mode, ... Use the up and down arrow keys on your ...
  • Re: Help Im getting Upon start - AutoChk.exe file not found- skipping AUTOCHECK
    ... logon as owner the kids have no administrator privileges so when I try ... If you are running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, ... To start in Safe Mode, ... Use the up and down arrow keys on your ...
  • Re: Retrieving data from hard drive to put on new drive
    ... "Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder ... If you are running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, ... To start in Safe Mode, ... Use the up and down arrow keys on your ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: User account password on hard drive - removing access restriction
    ... aren't protected by the user account password. ... If you are running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, ... To start in Safe Mode, ... Use the up and down arrow keys on your ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)