Re: Can't find usernames in registry!!

From: Carey Frisch [MVP] (cnfrisch_at_nospamgmail.com)
Date: 11/26/05

Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 17:48:53 -0600

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows - Shell/User
Microsoft Community Newsgroups
news://msnews.microsoft.com/
"Bluemoon1383" wrote:
| Hi there,
|
| I posted my problem here before and my problem has not been tackled till
| now.. Could anyone help me?? Many many thanks...
|
| A quick overview of my problem..
|
| I shutted down my laptop properly; and later when i turned it on again, a
| welcome screen appeared without any user account listed!! To shut down my
| computer was the only option..
|
| Then i tried to press Ctrl-Alt-Del twice and i got a small pop-up windows
| with my user name listed asking me to enter the <password>. I really have no
| idea for this as i never set a password for my computer. Somehow, I still
| tried some of my regularly used passwords.. yet, i still couldn't log on my
| account.
|
| An user responded to my problem by suggesting me to download an ultilities
| which allow to reset the system password
| (http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/).. I had successfully run the
| files.. but when it run till to Step 3, a problem hinder me to carry on the
| process, which as the following..
|

| *****
| ===== chntpw Edit User Info & Passwords ====
|
| Cannot find usernames in registry! (Is this a SAM-hive?)
|
| Select: ! - quit, . - list users, 0x<RID> - User with RID (hex)
| or simply enter the username to change: [Administrator]
|
| *****
|
| If i press enter after the sentence, a same sentense appear on screen.. I'm
| wondering why it can't find my usernames in registry??
|
| Help!! It already half way through the process.. what can i do for thi??
|

| Besides that, another user suggested to press F8 to interrupt the sytem when
| rebooting.. then choose the option of <start windows with the last known good
| configuration>. I had tried this too.. it didn't help in my case..
|
| Could anyone tell me what else can i do??
|

| Thanks heaps...

Relevant Pages

  • Re: How to add "Open With" to right click menu?
    ... Windows - Shell/User ... Microsoft Community Newsgroups ... | I was playing around in the Registry and now when I ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Password Saving
    ... autocomplete and check the option to save usernames and passwords on forms. ... Windows XP Associate Expert ... > I entered an e-mail site where i entered my username and ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: accidently deleted all usernames - cant logon
    ... > i accidently deleted all usernames and now i am unable to ... > windows 2000 professional is a beta version. ... > on using administration as username but to no avail! ... If you deleted all user accounts then you are left with ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Re: Admnistrator
    ... The way to fix the problem is either using the windows xp ... usernames and pictures ... >window should pop-up and type in Administrator. ... >> have the correct permissions. ...
  • Help with Policys
    ... I created a group on my windows 2003 server and added some usernames to that ... I would like to restrict this group from being able to install ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)