Re: Can you really 100% clean a compromised machine 100% of the ti

From: deebs (deebs_at_xyzlaernot999.bogus)
Date: 11/23/05

Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 17:05:47 +0000

Leythos wrote:
> In article <397893E1-BB57-4268-AE07-F9B78043F197@microsoft.com>,
> Ian@discussions.microsoft.com says...
>
>>Dare I say it in here, but malware has become much less of a problem since
>>we've heavily discouraged the use of IE. The other major source is CDs,
>>particularly those suplied with peripherals which install phone-home
>>'messengers' and the like. HST, the latter category are usually more of a
>>nuisance than a threat, being easier to remove.
>

> I agree with the IE part, we've moved almost every client off IE as the
> primary browser and many of the once-broken bank sites are supporting W3
> standards now instead of IE standards.
>
> Once you get them past IE the next threat seems to be IM programs
> (instant messenger) programs and their like. As most people run AV
> software now, even crappy versions, they don't have much to worry about
> except for day-1 viruses.

I do hope that IE& as the expression goes "cuts the mustard"

At the moment IE for anything Microsoft, Firefox for most else (but even
then ... ?), Avant (basically IE6 with tabs?) and a trial of FastStone
Browser are really about all I wish to install.

I do hope IE7 means I can uninstall the rest or at least run with a
maximum of two browsers

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Can you really 100% clean a compromised machine 100% of the ti
    ... > Dare I say it in here, but malware has become much less of a problem since ... standards now instead of IE standards. ... Once you get them past IE the next threat seems to be IM programs ...
  • Re: Need help on modifying and assembly of a small program!
    ... "broken"...every other "main" browser handles the situation correctly, ... per the W3C standards and RFCs that they should... ... Microsoft won't listen to "put a human on the end of the postmaster ... have two hard drives in it (one 15GB, the other 4GB...yes, not too great by ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: Development with IE 7 for non-Windows users.
    ... and standards compliant, but the reality is that the Internet is a segmented ... market with a menangery of browser platforms in use by users. ... I don't want to bash Microsoft, but I feel this is starting to ...
  • Re: website builders newsgroup
    ... that will display on ANY compliant browser? ... normal everyday life produces errors when checked for standards ...
    (uk.tech.digital-tv)
  • Re: Personals Site - designer needed.
    ... >>> with a browser only the smallest of minorities would use? ... And the "universal" ones that comply with w3c standards. ... >>> attempted to access the site using Lynx. ... > My point is that if they render properly in the browsers that make up ...
    (uk.people.disability)