Re: Having network problems.

From: Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] (lanwench_at_heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com)
Date: 11/20/05

Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 12:42:20 -0500

"Chrejo" <Chrejo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:A610C760-522B-4351-ACE2-3A3F9A4C1CF1@microsoft.com...
>I am having trouble with other people seeing my computer or connecting to
>me.
> All firewalls are disabled. The IP I see in games I create or in the
> network adapter properties (the adapter with the internet connection) is
> not
> my acual IP address. The address I'm getting (192.168.2.10) looks like a
> router assigned the IP except I'm not using a router.

In a command prompt, type

ipconfig /all

and see whether this is a DHCP-assigned address. It should tell you what the
IP address of the DHCP server is/was, if so.

> I believe when I ran
> the setup program for Bell's Sympatico HighSpeed internet, it installed a
> gateway using DHCP through the modem ... the gateway IP and DHCP server IP
> are the same as the modems IP. I contacted Sympatico and they told me the
> the modem does assign an IP but it is supposed to be the Dynamic IP they
> assign from their servers, not the Static one I'm getting.

You don't have a static - you have a private IP. Something is doing NAT.

> The tech I spoke
> to said he couldn't really help me but I probed furture and he said that
> the
> modem has a feature (can't remember the exact words) that assigns the
> virtual
> IP or something (kinda lost me there) and that it could be diabled. I
> tried
> this but everytime I tried to save or re-access the modem it had
> re-enabled
> it (GRRR). Both my net controlers are onboard

Ah. Why do you have two NICs? Disable one. Are you using ICS? Don't.

I suggest you get yourself a decent, inexpensive broadband router firewall
appliance (Netgear, Linksys, Dlink, etc) and stick it betwen your DSL modem
& network/computers. Let it do DHCP and NAT. You don't need to install any
klugy ISP-provided software on your computers that way. I never do...

That said - there are two issues here, it seems. You stated that you were
having problems with others connecting *to* you. What do they need to
connect to, and how, and for what purpose?

Get your internal network fixed, your internet connectivity cleaned up &
working, and *then* deal with inbound access to your network from the
Internet.

> and I do have a network but
> not one that accesses the internet. Only my computer is used for that but
> do have another computer connected (and was when I ran Bell's setup prog I
> think). Anyone want to help me solve this problem? ... does windows SP2
> interfier with this or anything? I can provide any other info that might
> be
> pertinent that I overlooked. Thx.
> --
> God is good!

Well, perhaps, but I don't know which particular deity is responsible for
troubleshooting TCP/IP connectivity issues, so it's probably not relevant
here.

Relevant Pages

  • Something strange happened to network setup on XP Pro machine
    ... connected to a RCA/Thomson cable modem for Internet access. ... router. ... I decided to try connecting the machines to the ...
  • Re: Hardware needed for home network
    ... computers are connected directly to the big bad internet (via the ... The server uses PPPoE to talk to the modem, ... connecting the modem to a separate NIC on the server adds any security. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Having network problems.
    ... >> network adapter properties (the adapter with the internet connection) is ... >> gateway using DHCP through the modem ... ... > having problems with others connecting *to* you. ...
  • Re: help required
    ... You now want to be able to obtain a telnet session from the mobile phone. ... If you are connecting via the ... internet, you will need a telnet client on your phone. ... via a modem, you will need a terminal emulator. ...
    (comp.unix.programmer)
  • Re: How many devices can a HomePlug support?
    ... that I need to get to the other side of the house (where the actual tv ... connecting a pair of switches together with two cables, ... The modem which my ISP suupplied me with has TWO ethernet exits. ... so that I can get an internet connection. ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)