Re: Can you really 100% clean a compromised machine 100% of the ti

From: Shenan Stanley (newshelper_at_gmail.com)
Date: 11/20/05

Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 17:25:32 -0600

-Draino- wrote:
> First of all everone here had to understand the issue
> here......"TIME vs. MONEY"

We all understand that - no one questioned how much you charged.

> A brand new machine will only cost $350.00 dollars from DELL.

+Tax and shipping - although sometime you get lucky with free shipping and
it is not much of a machine - very few people I know go with the base unit
like that.

> So with that in mind you MUST come in at no more than $150.00 or
> most people won't spend the money or they will just get a new
> machine, at least that's their logic.

No one questioned the amount of money charged that I know of.

> Assymilating a machine into my network takes 2 minutes. A copy
> backup of the MY DOCUMENTS folder take about 5 minutes at most.

hahah
5 minutes at most.
Yep - I have seen people with 60GB music in "My Music" and 30GB video in "My
Video".. If you can do that in 5 minutes - I want your network.

> A machine designed for XP will install in 39 minutes (XPSP2
> intergrated with all updates). So now we are at about 44 minutes. I
> install Norton 2005 on all XP machines, Microsoft Anit Spyware
> Beta, Ad-Aware and Spybot Search & Destroy. So add 30 minutes for
> that and that's my 1.

No one argued that - matter of fact - I confirmed if nothing else. Matter
of fact - reading the next paragraph makes me think you need to learn to
automate more - because it was 1.5 hours for me to install office and all
the plugins, etc - and that is NOT my time spent in front of it - but off
doing whatever else it is I want to do. =)

> I don't install and/or configure any Office programs or configure
> any e-mail programs......they did it once they can do it again.

Actually - big assumption most of the time.. Somewhat valid - if their kids
still live at home. heh

> I will install a print driver for them. At least that way they can
> print when they hook up their computer.

I guess they have to tell you what printer?

> 95% of all clients don't have anything they want saved anyway..

Your clients aren't my clients then. I would say the ratio may be closer to
35% could care less if they lose their email.. their contacts.. their
pictures.. their music.. their videos.. their favorites.. etc.

> OK so real world about 2 hours MAX. Nothing ever goes as planned :)

As I said - doing it your way would take 1.5 to 2.5 hours - depending on
amount of data being backed up. As you seem to back up very little (you
have some strange customers that could care less about their stuff or you
have learned to stay quiet about how much they are likely losing.. heh) -
1.5 to 2 hours seems about right.. But I could not - unless requested after
they knew what all they would be losing - bring myself to do that. I know
how much I would hate to lose most of my stuff (and you wouldn't be redoing
mine in no 2 hours - even with your method of copying just "My Documents".
heh

Money - yes - you must charge at least two hours labor for a rebuild - I
wouldn't argue that at all.
Heck - I would charge at least that for cleanup as well.

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

  • Re: Will OpenVMS I64 run on a Dell PowerEdge 3250n
    ... Or are you just saying that HP will not charge the lower ... >> price for systems with that chip as Dell will? ... >> Exactly how are you defining your trademarked industry standard? ... heh, heh. ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: Right, Im Off
    ... overlook other shit. ... Well, with obvious exceptions, obviously. ... Heh. ... Only a total idiot thinks men are in charge, ...
    (uk.sport.football)
  • Re: [OT] Read em or weap.
    ... He'll win if he can afford a better lawyer. ... We need to have affordable legal care. ... I know who can be in charge of writing the ... Heh heh heh... ...
    (alt.smokers.cigars)
  • Re: [OT] Read em or weap.
    ... He'll win if he can afford a better lawyer. ... We need to have affordable legal care. ... I know who can be in charge of writing the ... Heh heh heh... ...
    (alt.smokers.cigars)
  • Re: Health Care fallout
    ... "On March 23, 2010, the President signed into law comprehensive health ... Care Act. ... a change in the tax treatment of the Medicare Part D subsidy. ... The charge is due to a reduction ...
    (rec.martial-arts)