Re: I'm connected to the Domain but I'm not, please HELP...

From: Danny Sanders (Danny.Sanders_at_NO-SPAMcpcmed.org)
Date: 11/18/05

Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 16:23:23 -0700

>> The box is titled, Active Directory, "Naming information cannot be
>> located because: The specified domain either does not exist of could
>> not be contacted. Contact your system administrator to verify that
>> your domain is properly configured and is currently online."

Nine time out of ten "naming information" errors refer to a DNS problem.

Basic AD DNS setup. Set up a DNS server for the AD domain, point this server
to itself in the properties of TCP/IP, Point all AD clients to the DNS
server setup for the AD domain only. For Internet access configure your AD
DNS server to forward requests and list your ISP's DNS server as the
forwarder. This is the only place on your domain your ISP's DNS server
should be listed.

*Usually* Naming information errors are because the AD client is pointing to
the ISP's DNS. This will cause naming information errors, long log in times,
group policy won't work, and a whole host of other problems.

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE