Re: I'm connected to the Domain but I'm not, please HELP...

From: Danny Sanders (Danny.Sanders_at_NO-SPAMcpcmed.org)
Date: 11/18/05

Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 16:23:23 -0700

>> The box is titled, Active Directory, "Naming information cannot be
>> located because: The specified domain either does not exist of could
>> not be contacted. Contact your system administrator to verify that
>> your domain is properly configured and is currently online."

Nine time out of ten "naming information" errors refer to a DNS problem.

Basic AD DNS setup. Set up a DNS server for the AD domain, point this server
to itself in the properties of TCP/IP, Point all AD clients to the DNS
server setup for the AD domain only. For Internet access configure your AD
DNS server to forward requests and list your ISP's DNS server as the
forwarder. This is the only place on your domain your ISP's DNS server
should be listed.

*Usually* Naming information errors are because the AD client is pointing to
the ISP's DNS. This will cause naming information errors, long log in times,
group policy won't work, and a whole host of other problems.

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

> Kelvin Beaton wrote:
>> I've had my network and domain running for a year or so now.
>> Windows 2003 DC (current on service packs)
>> Windows 2003 member server
>> Windows 2000 (used to be the DC but brought then new one on months
>> ago)
>> I'm not aware of any changes to the network, but ass of a day or so
>> ago I have the following symptom.
>>
>> From a Windows XP work station if I go to Control Panel\User
>> Accounts\Advanced Tab\Advanced button\Groups\Administrators\Add, and
>> if I clik on Locations, under the list of locations to search, the
>> only option is my local computer name. The Domain is not listed.
>>
>> If I click on a folder then choose the Security Tab and try and add a
>> user of group from the Domain and click on Locations I get the same
>> thing, only the local computer name, the Domain is not an option.
>>
>> These symptoms are the same for a new computer and also computers
>> that have been on the network. I've tested this on my computer and it
>> acts the same as the new one.
>>
>> When I setup the new PC I added it to the domain and it showed up in
>> the Computers folder like normal. So that seemed fine.
>>
>> I also noticed that when I try and open an MMC that I created on my
>> workstation and have used for a year of so, now I can't open it.
>> The box is titled, Active Directory, "Naming information cannot be
>> located because: The specified domain either does not exist of could
>> not be contacted. Contact your system administrator to verify that
>> your domain is properly configured and is currently online."
>>
>> I have also noticed that when users a logging in it takes a long
>> time. First it says Loading Personal Setting and then it says
>> Applying Person Settings and it takes 2-3 minutes to load. They can
>> log in. I have created new users and they can log in.
>>
>> Can anyone shed light on this issue?
>
> So..
> What happens if you remove the system from the domain and rejoin?
> What happens if you remove the system from the domain, use AD U&C and
> remove it completely - wait 15 minutes and then rejoin the computer to the
> domain?
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  • Re: Replication issues
    ... I wanted to say Zone Transfers not Zone Forwarding. ... AD-Integrated DNS does not do zone transfers between the ... your DNS server will bypass ...
  • Re: Servers hang on boot
    ... The last DC at that site (not a DNS server). ... EventID: 0x00000457 ... (Event String could not be retrieved) ...
  • Re: DNS Redesign Issue
    ... set the new child domain DNS server as primary for the domain controllers? ... -If you are going to create a new AD Integrated Zone in each child domain, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)
  • Re: Internet connection wizard
    ... turn on DHCP on the workstation. ... Connection-specific DNS Suffix. ... calling CNetCommit::ValidateRouterConnectionProperties. ... Call to Reading preferred DNS server IP returned ok. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: DCDIAG DNS Failure
    ... I have looked at most of the articles you sited and I have configured DNS ... The DNS server lists only itself as the preferred server with no ... Best practices for DNS client settings in Windows 2000 Server and in Windows ... -Exchange configuration. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)