Re: Nortons message

From: Peter Huebner (no.one_at_this.address)
Date: 11/17/05

Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 11:32:25 +1300

In article <1132252468.436487.163910@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
evadrehtona@hotmail.com says...

> Nortons tells me that the computer is infected by a file called
> hpd764.tmp which is in windows\system32 and it cannot repair or remove
> this.
>
> Any advice gratefully received,

One method for deleting 'stubborn' files in XP:
open a command shell
open task manager and kill the explorer.exe process
manually delete the file in question from the command prompt
restart explorer from the command line.

This often works, but may not in your case if another process keeps that
file locked.

You can also download process explorer and file explorer from
sysinternals.com and see if you can find out who owns that tmp file -
that would be your virus {given that the thing really IS a virus}.

-P.