Re: Nortons message

From: Peter Huebner (no.one_at_this.address)
Date: 11/17/05

Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 11:32:25 +1300

In article <1132252468.436487.163910@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
evadrehtona@hotmail.com says...

> Nortons tells me that the computer is infected by a file called
> hpd764.tmp which is in windows\system32 and it cannot repair or remove
> this.
>
> Any advice gratefully received,

One method for deleting 'stubborn' files in XP:
open a command shell
open task manager and kill the explorer.exe process
manually delete the file in question from the command prompt
restart explorer from the command line.

This often works, but may not in your case if another process keeps that
file locked.

You can also download process explorer and file explorer from
sysinternals.com and see if you can find out who owns that tmp file -
that would be your virus {given that the thing really IS a virus}.

-P.

  • Re: Great SWT Program
    ... Invisible extra things to backspace away are going to trip ... This indicates that Windows is not seeing the same input ... drag and drop oddities in Explorer indicate a similar problem; ... command prompt instead of a different task; ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: After running spyware - XP wont let me boot - keeps logging out
    ... I guess my main concern is and STILL WILL BE if I have a virus on the ... the terminal window, there is no need to put "sudo" in front of the command. ... The reason you'll want to know the name of the AV scanner, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Blank message bodies ... more
    ... I followed both the suggested methods, Command ... Prompt and Explorer Address Bar, ... Cleanup, to clear the TIF. ... What the View of the pseudo folder is showing you is a combination ...
  • Re: Virus?
    ... After a while, the whole Freedom program ... Explorer works and the online virus scan worked great, ... That should unlock the temp folder itself and let you do a dir on it. ...
    (alt.comp.anti-virus)
  • Re: 3 icons missing from startup
    ... [[Allows you to remove the Run command from the Start menu, ... Explorer, and Task Manager. ... Run dialog box by pressing the Application key (the key with the Windows ... Search does not appear in the context menu when you right-click an icon ...