Re: NTFS Permissions allowing one to RUN APPLICATIONS

From: chaosUnplugged (chaosUnplugged_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 11/12/05

Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 14:40:03 -0800

> (Why would you think "WRITE" would allow anyone to EXECUTE an application?)

I don't. I was challenged by another MCP who stated that "All four choices
(above) allow the running of applications. The only permission that doesn't
is READ, which is not one of the choices." He even went on to cite a support
reference for his opinion (Windows XP Help: Setting Permissions). I wanted
outside/expert opinion on this.

I also just confirmed this by assigning only the WRITE permission to a
folder for "Guests" and the "effective permissions" for "Guests" are: Create
Files/ Write Data, Create Folders / Append Data, Write Attributes, Write
Extended Attributes. WRITE does not include "Traverse Folder/ Execute File".

Thank you very much Shenan for getting back so quickly and for your
confirmation. If you have any further thoughts/advise on this please let me
know and I will pass them on.

Regards,

/s/Norman A. Levinson, MCSE, CCNA, CWSP