Re: Cannot logon

From: Steven L Umbach (n9rou_at_n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net)
Date: 11/09/05

Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 19:47:12 -0600

Hmm. You could try to copy the sam file from the windows\repair folder to
the \windows\system32\config folder
after renaming the original sam file to sam.old. You would have to do that
from outside the operating system by placing your hard drive
in another computer as a secondary/slave drive or by booting from something
like Barts PE which is a compact version
of the operating system that fits on a cdrom. If you happen to be using
FAT32 file system you could do that
from a bootable floppy. --- Steve

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ --- Bart's PE information.

"RVilla" <RVilla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Well, I ran two of the password recovery tools and they both said they
> could
> not find users. Guess the registry got corrupt, anyway around this?
> Before,
> the re-install?
>
> Robert
>

> --
> Thanks in advance....
>

> "Steven L Umbach" wrote:
>
>> To me it sounds like someone or some process configured a password for
>> those
>> accounts. See the link below on how to proceed for when a user forgets
>> their
>> administrator password and how to reset it to see if that helps. ---
>> Steve
>>
>> http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm
>>
>> "RVilla" <RVilla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I did try Safe Mode, same result. Windows logon screen with no user
>> >accounts
>> > listed, tried both accounts (Bob and built-in Administrator, no
>> > password)
>> > and
>> > cannot logon.
>> >
>> > These user accounts never had a password. Also tried LKG.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Thanks in advance....

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Logon Problem
    ... Try and boot the machine, if the user had a System State backup restore from the backup or try restoring with System Restore, however note that System Restore does not store or restore passwords. ... "John John " wrote: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Help with user accounts
    ... My sam file got messed up and I had to replace it. ... After fixing the sam file and the computer rebooted it started like a new ... folder and a owners folder. ... When I check out my old folder shows me as admin. ...
  • Re: How to reset Admin p/w.
    ... me out to reset my admin pw. ... operating system (Win2000, XP and Vista are all NT class operating ...
  • Re: Move SAM file
    ... Matt wrote: ... >Has anyone been able to move the system32\config folder from C: ... I want to keep the SAM file off the system drive. ...