Re: Unable to ping some machines - others ok???

From: Gary (Gary_at_neveremailme.com)
Date: 11/08/05

Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 11:45:17 -0800

What is:
The IP Address of the laptop
The subnet of the laptop
The default gateway of the laptop

The IP Address of the SQL server
The subnet of the SQL server
The default gateway of the server

"Brad Pears" <donotreply@notreal.com> wrote in message
news:OFgEvPJ5FHA.1420@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> We are working on setting up one of our saleperson's laptop with an
> application that requires it to connect to our Windows 2000 SQL server.
>
> The laptop has XP Home installed. We were having problems connecting and
> decided to attempt to ping the machine to troubleshoot the issue. We were
> unable to ping the SQL server by name or IP address. When we ping by name,
> the IP address is returned but it just times out. We were however,
> successfully able to ping other machines on the LAN no probs. Then we
> happened to try my XP Pro machine, and was unable to ping it as well!!!
> My firewall is not turned on. and other machines can ping mine with no
> issues.
>
> What should we be doing to try to troubleshoot this issue?? Why would it
> be able to ping some machines and not others on the LAN??
>
> Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brad

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [SLE] DHCP vs Static IP - SUSE 10.0 REVISITED
    ... > laptop and installed SUSE 10.0 on it without any apparent problems. ... > There are three linux machines, but only one running 10.0, on my lan. ... > the Internet and can ping in either direction to/from each other. ... > hplaptop is configured to use DHCP, hplaptop can access the Internet and ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Cannot Ping Local Host With IP,name, localhost
    ... If other machines can ping 10.64.3.25, ... >> easily re-enable the wireless connection when needed. ... >> access a share on the laptop from other machines. ...
  • XP Network: Ping Conundrum
    ... I have a Pentium III laptop running XP Professional (not yet upgraded to ... Service Pack 2) and an almost new Sony VAIO Desktop running XP Home with ... firewall on both machines. ... discover that I cannot ping the newer VAIO. ...
  • Re: Unable to ping some machines - others ok???
    ... laptop is filtering outbound traffic. ... networking to see if he can ping your computer then. ... > decided to attempt to ping the machine to troubleshoot the issue. ... > successfully able to ping other machines on the LAN no probs. ...
  • Re: SQLSMS - Cannot Connect SQL Server 2000
    ... On the right-side make sure TCP/IP is enabled. ... I take it the NewXP computer can ping the laptop by both IP ... Rick Byham, SQL Server Books Online ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.setup)