Re: Why would services.msc & services.exe be "Access Denied" in WinXP?

From: Susan Sharm (susanshaarm_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 11/06/05

    Date: 5 Nov 2005 23:40:44 -0800

    Steven L Umbach wrote:
    > The free utility filemon can be very helpful in tracking down such problems
    > looking for access denied under the result column.

    Thank you for that advice Steven. I will pick up "filemon" and see what
    it tells me. I had previously right clicked on the services.msc file to
    see only that it was not "hidden" or "read only" but I am not aware of
    permissions based on the user or group (or even how to tell what those
    permissions would be for any particular file).

    It may be interesting to note that "Start, Run, msconfig" seems to work
    in that it pops up a "System Configuration Utility" which has a
    "Services" tab which seems to also let me turn off and on services
    (although this GUI seems less functional than the "My Computer",
    "Manage", "Computer Management" GUI.

    I'll run filemon on the c:\windows\system32\services.msc file and let
    you know the results.

    Thanks for the advice - this is interesting - if a bit frustrating,
    Susan