Re: Security on Drives

From: Steven L Umbach (n9rou_at_n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net)
Date: 11/02/05

Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 03:03:12 -0600

If you want to deny access to other users via the operating system then do
not give them any permissions to the drives or folders you do not want them
to access. For instance for drives E and F remove any users/groups other
than system and your user account and be sure to check that the permissions
changes have propagated to all subfolders. As far as "Make this Folder
private". That is used in XP Home. You can do the same thing by configuring
permissions as I described and by default your my documents folder should
exclude other users but it would be a good idea to check.

Having said that you need to know that any computer that is not physically
secured as in locked up in a safe place is vulnerable to having its data
accessed by a malicious user who could easily gain administrator access or
copy data from the hard drive. -- Steve

"Hifni Shahzard" <HifniShahzard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> Uses: Windows XP Professional;
>
> I got 2 questions here and hoping to get a response for those:
>
> 01. My computer got 3 partitions of my hard drive and named as C, E, F
> respectively. I'm the administrator in my computer. I would like to deny
> the
> access to my E and F partitions for others, preferbaly in the user group.
> What is the procedure to do it?
>
> 02. My second question is about file sharing. Refering to the KB article
> no:
> 304040, I couldn't see anything called "Make this Folder private", when I
> go
> to My Documents Folder > Right Click > Sharing and Security Tab. Basically
> wont to avoid accesse of my "My Documents" folder for others, preferbaly
> those in the user group. How can I do it?
>
> Regards,
> --
> Mohammed Hifni Shahzard Nazeer,
> JB Securities Pvt. Ltd.,
> Colombo.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Office Docs wont Open? and BU Drive not Recognized?
    ... In addition to what Susan said, I don't see any reference to the NTFS security, on the share permissions. ... Go through the Security settings carefully, and watch out for "inherited", "ownership" and "apply to folders and files in this folder" settings. ... Client Desktop, which open fine there? ... (and similar drives) ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Western Digital 1TB World Book - Vista Ultimate x64 Issues
    ... ::For backup external drives I have an old WD Net Center and a New WD ... Ultimate x64 PC is concerned. ... FOLDER - BUT I cannot name it. ... I changed permissions to Everyone and applied FULL ...
  • Re: hidden c drive -what type of problems
    ... Explorer, so the drives are hidden there, too. ... permissions loosening, you can change their permissions using Group Policy ... folder permissions). ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy)
  • Re: Moving folder and permissions
    ... Created Files or folders - Inherit permissions of the folder they are ... Moved or copied files or folders in the same NTFS volume - Keep their own ... (I'm assuming you're using NTFS as the second drives format) ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.file_system)
  • Re: Uninstall Windows XP Home Edition from one of two Partitions
    ... to configure the permissions in the Advanced Options, ... Unable to take ownership of ..\Flash folder because access denied. ... Deleted partitionfrom the boot.ini file but still get a Windows ... Windows operating system, simply show all hidden files and delete ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)