Re: Encrypted Files from a formatted drive

From: Segovia (incorrect_at_malformed.invalid)
Date: 11/01/05

Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 02:24:57 -0500

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 17:09:01 -0800, Kevin wrote:

> I realize that any account on this system is
> not a recovery agent nor the account that created encrypted the files.

Without the key you are totally hosed. You might as well accept that the
data is gone...

However you did say that the drive containing the key was formatted. That
in itself does not destroy the data. If you reinstalled the OS after that,
and all the data files, then you might be out of luck since it's likely
that the clusters containing the key have been overwritten by now.

--
Segovia

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Decrypt File
    ... "accidentally" reinstalled the machine without saving the recovery agent. ... in properties for the encrypted data re-assign the new local admin account ... Senior Consultant (Directory Services Security) ... domain controllers) reinstalls of any single domain controller. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: EFS, certificates etc
    ... I backed up system state then created a certificate ... for the Admin account, which I have designated as the data recovery agent. ...
  • Re: EFS, certificates etc
    ... created a certificate ... >for the Admin account, which I have designated as the ... >data recovery agent cannot. ... >>> encryption. ...
  • Re: How to add a domain user as a Data Recovery Agent
    ... Recovery Agent certificate and when you examined the certificate are the ... I'm trying to figure out how to add a non-privileged, domain user account ... I add the users as data recovery agents. ...
  • Re: File Encryption Help Needed
    ... The machine's previous domain has no AD, which means NT4 server, right? ... If you have no recovery agent and no keys exported earlier, ... get back your files are logon as the old account assuming that DC is still ... > Let us be sure this is about encryption, ...