Re: Adware, please help!

From: Malke (notreally_at_invalid.com)
Date: 10/25/05

Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 17:32:52 -0700

trieunguyen wrote:

> I share my computer with my sister, and all of the sudden, I come
> across this adware. The ad pops up and go straight to a website with
> url : http://..../normal/yyy34.html . The url is always this, but the
> ads are different. Some ads appeared in flash form as well.
>
> I tried scanning by Ad-aware, Microsoft Anti-spyware, System Mechanic
> 5 and Spyware doctor. I even scanned and reboot several times in safe
> mode, but no help. These adwares are spotted everytime I scan, and no
> matter how many time I remove it, it's always there after a restart.
>
> Please give me advices, I have so many important info in this computer
> and adware (which might lead to spyware) is my nightmare.

Did you do your scans in Safe Mode? If not, do so. To get to Safe Mode,
repeatedly tap the F8 key as the computer is starting up. Then navigate
to the Safe Mode item on the menu with your arrow key.

If you already did your scans in Safe Mode, run HijackThis and post your
log to *one* of the following forums (not here, please) where you will
get the help you need:

http://www.aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm - HijackThis tutorial by Merijn
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtutorial=42 -
another tutorial
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html
http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5 - Spyware Warrior HijackThis
forum
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/

BTW, unplug your computer from any networks and back up your important
data NOW.

Malke

--
Elephant Boy Computers