Re: multiple partitions are safer in virus infection?

From: D.Currie (dmbcurrie.nospam_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 09/27/05

Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 14:22:57 -0600

<strutsng@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1127851648.398509.77470@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> In terms of virus infection, having multiple partitions
> are safer than single partition?
>
> For example, if the machine has drive C, D, and E.
> Drive C is the windows operating system, and drive D and E are
> data files drives. If drive C is infected, will it infect
> drive D and E also?
>
> Please advise. thanks!!

Depends on what the virus is. If it's something designed to infect operating
system files, that what it does. If it's designed to look for MP3s, it will
find them, no matter what drive letter. And if it's a network-aware virus,
it can look for network connections and infect other computers on the
system.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Virus/Spyware question
    ... > The virus dropper will be activated on your active drive. ... Some viruses will search for and infect files on drives or partitions ...
    (alt.comp.anti-virus)
  • Re: Virus/Spyware question
    ... >> Can viruses and spyware infect any and all drives on your pc or is it ... I would think a virus can ... > can't infect code there. ...
    (alt.comp.anti-virus)
  • Re: Virus/Spyware question
    ... > Can viruses and spyware infect any and all drives on your pc or is it ... I would think a virus can give itself any ... Dunno about spyware. ... can't infect code there. ...
    (alt.comp.anti-virus)
  • Re: multiple partitions are safer in virus infection?
    ... > In terms of virus infection, having multiple partitions ... > data files drives. ... Depends on what the virus is. ... If it's something designed to infect operating ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: strange new virus
    ... Glad you found that- saved me some typing;) And yes, there are thumb ... drives available that emulate CD-ROM drives, ... But even if someone has left "autorun" on for CD ... Trend says thumbdrives don't infect PCs, ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)