Re: multiple partitions are safer in virus infection?

From: David H. Lipman (DLipman~nospam~_at_Verizon.Net)
Date: 09/27/05

Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 20:12:28 GMT

From: <strutsng@gmail.com>

| In terms of virus infection, having multiple partitions
| are safer than single partition?
|
| For example, if the machine has drive C, D, and E.
| Drive C is the windows operating system, and drive D and E are
| data files drives. If drive C is infected, will it infect
| drive D and E also?
|
| Please advise. thanks!!

In short NO.

The number of drive letters or partitions has no bearing on being safer in terms of viruses.
A true virus will seek out anything and everything its payload is designed for.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [SOLVED] Is squeeze compatible with WD20EARS and other 2TB drives?
    ... EARS/EADS models and similar "Advanced Format" hard drives may benefit. ... the second issue: the hardware/logical sector alignment. ... that it cant't align the partitions. ... MB/s, while rsync reported speeds of up to 51MB/S. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • [SOLVED] Is squeeze compatible with WD20EARS and other 2TB drives?
    ... I am giving feedback to the list so that future purchasers of Western Digital WD EARS/EADS models and similar "Advanced Format" hard drives may benefit. ... the second issue: the hardware/logical sector alignment. ... Be as it may, I then proceeded to use the new partitions created by GParted, doing some cursory "benchmarks". ... The typical copy speed reached in mc was about 20 MB/s, while rsync reported speeds of up to 51MB/S. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: External Hard Drive
    ... Also, with the cost of USB Thumb drives, I'm now ... I clone the main drive weekly to the second internal drive, ... and other things (five partitions). ... such as Acronis True Image to perform the cloning operation whatever ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Replace SCSI Drive
    ... from there you can manipulate other hard drives attached to the machine. ... It should 'just work' but watch out that you keep disk devices ... vi-a) Write a BSD partition table into the slice, then set up your required FreeBSD partitions: ... items under the 'Custom Install' to achieve the desired result. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Backing up the system
    ... IDE disks mounted in a removable trays, and each clone is bootable. ... When you clone the contents of your working drive to the destination drive (bearing in mind we're talking about removable internal drives in their mobile racks), the destination drive, being for all practical purposes an exact duplicate of the source drive, is bootable and there's no need to edit its boot.ini file. ... the context of archiving several bootable partitions on the same backup drive. ... one must be aware which of the multiple system partitions on a drive has been marked "active". ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)