Re: multiple partitions are safer in virus infection?

From: David H. Lipman (DLipman~nospam~_at_Verizon.Net)
Date: 09/27/05

Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 20:12:28 GMT

From: <strutsng@gmail.com>

| In terms of virus infection, having multiple partitions
| are safer than single partition?
|
| For example, if the machine has drive C, D, and E.
| Drive C is the windows operating system, and drive D and E are
| data files drives. If drive C is infected, will it infect
| drive D and E also?
|
| Please advise. thanks!!

In short NO.

The number of drive letters or partitions has no bearing on being safer in terms of viruses.
A true virus will seek out anything and everything its payload is designed for.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [SOLVED] Is squeeze compatible with WD20EARS and other 2TB drives?
    ... EARS/EADS models and similar "Advanced Format" hard drives may benefit. ... the second issue: the hardware/logical sector alignment. ... that it cant't align the partitions. ... MB/s, while rsync reported speeds of up to 51MB/S. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • [SOLVED] Is squeeze compatible with WD20EARS and other 2TB drives?
    ... I am giving feedback to the list so that future purchasers of Western Digital WD EARS/EADS models and similar "Advanced Format" hard drives may benefit. ... the second issue: the hardware/logical sector alignment. ... Be as it may, I then proceeded to use the new partitions created by GParted, doing some cursory "benchmarks". ... The typical copy speed reached in mc was about 20 MB/s, while rsync reported speeds of up to 51MB/S. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: External Hard Drive
    ... Also, with the cost of USB Thumb drives, I'm now ... I clone the main drive weekly to the second internal drive, ... and other things (five partitions). ... such as Acronis True Image to perform the cloning operation whatever ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Replace SCSI Drive
    ... from there you can manipulate other hard drives attached to the machine. ... It should 'just work' but watch out that you keep disk devices ... vi-a) Write a BSD partition table into the slice, then set up your required FreeBSD partitions: ... items under the 'Custom Install' to achieve the desired result. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Moving Along with Fedora!
    ... but I would like to know the windows equivalent of the Linux ... you "mount" them to the tree. ... all the letter designations for drives have disappeared. ... a drive, the partitions have device named like /dev/hda1 or /dev/hda2, ...
    (Fedora)