Re: External dvd-writer

From: Bob Harris (rharris270[SPAM)
Date: 09/27/05

Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 15:06:44 -0500

In general XP does not need any drivers for a CD/DVD device. These should
be automatically recognized as "new harware" and appropriate drivers
automatically installed.

In fact, be very carefull NOT to install drivers that come with the device,
unless they are explicitly designated for XP, since othewise they might be
win98/ME drivers, which may not work.

You might try uninstalling the device in the XP device manager, then ask the
device manager to "detect new hardware", which hopefull results in the
correct drivers being installed.

Note that unless you install XP-compatible CD/DVD writing software, the
writer may be recognized only as a reader.

Further, it is often a bad idea to have multiple CD/DVD writing software on
the same PC, since they often conflict, resulting in no ability to write.
For example, chose either Nero or Easy CD Creator, but not both.

"Bugsy789" <uvesravat@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> hi. i just got a new external dvd-writer. i have windows home edition. for
> some reason it will not automatically install onto the pc plus i used the
> cd
> it still didn;t install the driver plus used the files from the internet
> too.
> any reasons why. the driver in samsung company. thks
> --
> U.Ravat

Relevant Pages

  • Re: old xp home computers
    ... > clean install ....i hope. ... utilities on the Internet for the type of BIOS you have. ... You also have hardware on your machine that requires drivers to interface ...
  • Re: Format Fdsik XP
    ... you can install it first thing. ... patch/install the drivers you prepared with earlier. ... network drivers and finally your video card drivers. ... of the hardware drivers from here - always go to the actual manufacturers ...
  • Re: Problems using command format c:
    ... you can install it first thing. ... patch/install the drivers you prepared with earlier. ... network drivers and finally your video card drivers. ... of the hardware drivers from here - always go to the actual manufacturers ...
  • Re: 0x0000007B
    ... Pro install should have reconized the USB flash disk as a removable device. ... The two devices which Intel provided drivers for do end up with question ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded)
  • Re: 2 SATA drives and 1 IDE drive Not Recognized
    ... I tried to install the motherboard driver utility from the original CD- ... ROM within Windows. ... LifeGuard to find out if it sees the drives. ... Then just update the drivers if newer versions are available on the web site ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)