Re: User in two groups Admin and Power User

From: Doug Knox MS-MVP (dknox_at_mvps.org)
Date: 09/19/05

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 16:01:34 -0400

Someone with more experience in domains and how the user accounts interact there would probably be able to give you more information.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"BookerW" <BookerW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:340E7549-2BE5-4F84-82C4-78145815139D@microsoft.com...
> Ok, seems kinda strange.  Seems to me, I have seen situations where a user
> has been in both groups before (maybe in windows 2000) and the fact that
> their account was in the administrators group seemed to override all otehr
> groups.
>
> And again, this was a case where the specifi user's account was in both the
> administrators and the Power Users group, not the Administrator account
> itself.
>
> I had another user logon who was a member of the domain admins group and by
> default the administrator's group on the computer and he was able to
> successfully load the software.
>
> This is a new one to me, I assumed that as long as you were a part of the
> administrator's group, it would trump your membership in other groups.
>

> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> No, by default, Administrators are members of all groups, but this is transparent.  I would suspect that the fact that the Administrator was listed as a Power User, as well, caused any policies that prevented software installs to apply to the Administrator as well.
>>
>> --
>> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
>> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
>> http://www.dougknox.com
>> --------------------------------
>> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
>> --------------------------------
>> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
>> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>>
>> "BookerW" <BookerW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ADEA51A7-2BED-46FD-A5BF-27A01843A560@microsoft.com...
>> >
>> > If that is the case, what about the situation in which all authenticated
>> > users are a part of the users group (i.e Administrators, etc).
>> >
>> > Wouldn't that mean each administrator would be subjected to  the rules of
>> > the users group, or is Administrator not a part of Authenticated users

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Sharing Windows and Program Files folders
    ... MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User ... You need to use the same account ... be an administrator account. ... XP computer in Safe Mode and then sharing the relevant folders. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Administrator User Account
    ... See Help and Support and search for "Safe Mode" ... Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display ... The built in Administrator account will appear on the Welcome Screen. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize)
  • Re: Multiple Administrators?
    ... If you found it in HKEY_USERS, and you were the only user logged on, then that is the SID for your account. ... MS-MVP Windows XP/ Windows Smart Display ... >I just ran the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer ... > (Administrator, my account name, and a third one that I ...
  • Re: User in two groups Admin and Power User
    ... Local Administrator of a computer can access that network ... If both the Domain Account and the Local Account have the ... Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security ... MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security ...
  • Re: Forgotten Password Wizard
    ... > account in question and select Reset Password. ... > Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows XP/9x ... >> Does anyone know how to run the forgotten password wizard ...