Re: How to tell if a firewall alert is suspicious or not

jameshanley39_at_yahoo.co.uk
Date: 09/18/05

Date: 18 Sep 2005 07:23:12 -0700

Gerard Schroeder wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 15:48:26 +0100, Mike wrote:
>
> > Novices do not have the knowledge as you so patently demonstrate.
> > You need a hardware firewall like the ones built into Zyxel routers etc.
>
> Is the D-Link wireless/wired box connected to the DSL modem set up in the
> default configuration sufficient?

it is a great help. it blocks all incoming connections. Beyond that, do
not block all outgoing connections, or allow yourself to be hassled by
your personal firewall over it.

Use software, like Active Ports, that will list Established
Connections. At least it won't hassle you with popups. It gives the
process name. Do not look for great lists . Just google the name of
the process that is making the outgoing connection. And if you get 100
links saying it's spyware, then you should start running different
spyware removal utilities until you successfully get rid of it.

> Or is there something ELSE I should purchase to get this "hardware
> firewall"?

your 'home router'(actually a NAT device) blocks incoming. I have a
DLink one too.
You can go to http://192.168.0.1 and configure it. Or if that dosen't
work, find out its IP
open a command prompt start..run..cmd<ENTER> and type
ipconfig /all

and see what it says for 'Gateway' (That is your 'router').
do http://gatewayip

see, it has a firewall built in. But still, don't bother blocking
outgoing connections, even with that.

if you have spyware, get rid of it properly.

> > If you had a router you would not have seen it or been startled plus you
> > would have been protected.

and you do have a router. ('home router'). It blocks incoming. Which
is very good. You should look at outgoing but not be hassled with
popups. and not be paranoid. useg oogle on an unknown process making an
outgoing connection. just see if google says it's spyware.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Zone Alarm Free blocks everything
    ... If you rely on a firewall blocking outgoing connections to ultimately ... save you from spyware, then it'd be wrong. ... a 'packet' sniffer. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: How to tell if a firewall alert is suspicious or not
    ... >> You need a hardware firewall like the ones built into Zyxel routers etc. ... not block all outgoing connections, or allow yourself to be hassled by ... spyware removal utilities until you successfully get rid of it. ... your 'home router'blocks incoming. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: How to tell if a firewall alert is suspicious or not
    ... >> You need a hardware firewall like the ones built into Zyxel routers etc. ... not block all outgoing connections, or allow yourself to be hassled by ... spyware removal utilities until you successfully get rid of it. ... your 'home router'blocks incoming. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Help on SEARCH with MSN
    ... It is not spyware or any of those as I have them all ... You should periodically defragment your hard drives as well as check them ... using Windows XP "prettifications". ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ...
  • Re: Spyware problems
    ... > spyware, and a link to a removal site. ... Depends on what "no matter what I do" includes... ... using Windows XP "prettifications". ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)