Re: Workgroup is not accessible.

From: Chuck (none_at_example.net)
Date: 09/15/05

Date: 15 Sep 2005 15:45:02 -0500

On 15 Sep 2005 12:34:14 -0700, "Tom Penharston" <*email_address_deleted*> wrote:

>Is there anyway to get a list of computers that ran the browser and
>then disappeared? A current browser list will just identify the good
>machines.

Tom,

If you truly have a case of transient browser service being run, just wait til
you start seeing a problem again, then run "psservice find browser", and compare
it with a previous run.

But it doesn't take a truly rogue computer running the browser to cause
problems. The more computers running the browser, in a workgroup especially,
the greater the chance for a browser conflict. Official specs call for 2
browser computers for the first 32 client computers, then 1 additional computer
for each additional 32. Add more than that running the browser, or take browser
computers offline and online inappropriately, and you can expect problems like
yours. Please read my article.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/04/nt-browser-or-why-cant-i-always-see.html>

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]

Relevant Pages

  • Re: ICS + Home network trouble
    ... non-blank password on all computers. ... > are a very common cause of browser, and file sharing, problems. ... > Have you used the Registry Editor before? ... Master browser name is: BETA ...
  • Re: Networking problem running 2 XP Pro SP2
    ... >Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 3: ... >I have simple sharing checked on both computers ... Check for a browser conflict between the computers. ... Have you used the Registry Editor before? ...
  • Re: ICS + Home network trouble
    ... >> Do any of the computers have a software firewall ... >> are a very common cause of browser, and file sharing, problems. ... >> Have you used the Registry Editor before? ... > There are 2 servers in domain MSHOME on transport ...
  • Re: PC wont show in network browser list
    ... > itself and the 8400 as computers in the workgroup. ... both have computer browser service running. ... > share folders on the 8400 manually, creating network shortcuts pointing to ... > promptly showed up on the 4600 and the 8400 as a workgroup computer, ...
  • Re: Need help networking XP with Win98 and Win2000
    ... XP machine to stop its browser - even if I manually start it, ... MSHOME in the Network Connections, and even the other machine names, but it ... > Check for a browser conflict between the WinXP/2K computers and the Win98 ... > The Microsoft Browstat program will show us what browsers (I'm not talking about ...