Downloaded .chm opens but won't display content pane

From: Richard Lionheart (NoOne_at_Nowhere.net)
Date: 09/07/05

Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 19:39:12 -0400

Hi All,

I downloaded WindowsController from
http://www.mentalis.org/soft/class.qpx?id=7 and unzipped the download into
three files, one of them "Org.Mentalis.Files.WindowsController.chm".

When I double-click the .chm filename in Windows Explorer, a normal help
window opens with the usual tabs on the left pane. The Contents tab
displays a hierarchy of folders and items. But the right pane invariably
displays:

"The page cannot be displayed
      The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site
might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your
browser settings.
"

I'm running WinXP-Pro/SP2 with current updates from Windows Update. My
account is a member of Administrators.

Any ideas?

TIA,
Richard

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Windows Update URL no longer functions
    ... Please fill out the form and let MS know what happened to your system so that they are aware of the damage done by Guided Help. ... The system basically comes up except that Windows Explorer took 15 minutes to finish what it was doing. ... That interference may be why the system will only access a blank page when invoking the Windows Update shortcut from the Start menu. ... All I can suggest you try at this point, besides uninstalling WinPatrol/Spybot and then rebuilding the winsock stack, is to Clean boot the system and then reset Windows Update's components via a Microsoft Fixit: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: I cant install critical updates
    ... I resolved error message problem from Vista Security Center by uninstalling and reinstalling Antivir. ... How it comes I can't either manage to install manually failing updates? ... Be sure to obtain the correct version for Windows x86. ... Windows Update Agent File Versions: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Smeared screen = spyware?
    ... > Windows Update, but they haven't picked up anything. ... Step four - download and install the latest video card driver. ... NVidia Video Card Drivers ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: SVCHost keeps crashing
    ... I'd mentioned previously that I had run virus scanning and anit-spyware ... installed after device drivers and windows patches. ... So the machine is not fully patched at Windows Update? ... I didn't do a repair install. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Windows Update Hangs in Vista
    ... installing the WU Agent - see "A new version of the Windows Update ... You may need to add Windows Update to the Trusted Sites Zone: ... Clearing Temporary Internet files, cookies and history in Internet Explorer ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)