Re: Defualt C$ Share

From: Chuck (none_at_example.net)
Date: 08/26/05

Date: 25 Aug 2005 20:54:03 -0500

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 18:03:01 -0700, Webber <Webber@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>> Windows NT, 2000, XP Pro and Server 2003 will automatically share the root
>> of all volumes as C$, D$ ,etc by default, for administrators only. This is
>> done by default but can be turned off with a registry setting. See
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;816524 - I'm not
>> sure about XP Home Edition
>>
>> So I shouldn't have anything to fear from if I see such a share for my drives?? When I tried to remove it, it said that it's a share created for administrative purposes only and on restart the share will be turned on again. I'm asking to make sure because I recently made quite a big mess on my hard drives.

There is nothing dangerous in creating that share. Windows just wants to
caution you against sharing the whole drive. You won't be able to share C$
under XP Home, of course.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html#Guest>

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Setting up Power Users in XP Home
    ... Users" group (in XP Home Edition) using any other methods, ... Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User] ... Can anyone tell me how to set up a Power User in XP Home? ... but it requires the user to be in the Power Users or Administrators group in ...
  • Re: Administrator Privileges
    ... Steve O. wrote: ... Make sure you are a member of the local administrators group... ... Windows XP Home Edition or Windows XP Professional Edition (or superset - ...
  • How do you configure Sudowin?
    ... I am not able to enable the local users and groups snap-in in safe ... mode in Windows XP Home edition however, I was able to change the ... group I belong to which is Administrators to Sudoers by pressing ... windows logo + r and then I type in control userpasswords2 and then I ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Upgrade from Win XP HOME to PRO
    ... I have added Remote Desktop functionality to my XP HOME edition. ... I have tried to upgrade it to Windows XP PRO edition. ... installed automagically during the installation - even at the T-13 ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: XP Home vs. Pro; Feature Contrast
    ... Windows XP Home Edition vs. Professional ... The following features are not present in Windows XP Home Edition. ... Pro can be the server. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)