Re: Brand new Dell - already infected?

From: bryan (
Date: 08/21/05

Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 22:04:02 -0700

RE: OK... I think we see the trend here; usually new versions from vendors
to fix issues with DEP. So what I'd do is:
- build a list of what software's running on the box
(especially underfootware)
- test suppressing these in MSConfig
- if offender's identified, check that vendor's FAQs etc. on DEP
- stay off the 'net while firewall and av are disabled

I just need some clarification on your suggestion. DEP was shutting down
notepad, wordpad, word and Access. When I disabled DEP for IE, all programs
worked fine. Before disabling DEP, I created a notepad file with 2 lines: abc
and 123. I saved it and re-opened it. DEP then shut it down. If DEP is
supposed to detect code of malware, what could it have detected between abc
and 123? If you really feel that I could be infected despite the fact that
everything is working fine, I am happy to conduct more tests. Please be kind
enough to be as non-technical as possible. And thank you very much for your
support. Bryan

"Leythos" wrote:

> In article <>,
> says...
> > IOW, if those 1000 PCs are all in one corporate network with
> > tightly-controlled settings, aopps, the same av rolled out throughout
> > the organisation, same hardware vendors, etc. then there may be plenty
> > of configurations you haven't had experience with.
> My experience and depth is based on hundreds of different
> sites/installations over the last X years. I includes about 90 different
> platform setups (hardware/software/apps/security/av....) at this time
> and grows every week.
> Not to mention all of the friends/family I support what are not in
> controlled environments by their own choice.
> --
> remove 999 in order to email me

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Any way to get RTL_USER_PROCESS_PARAMETERS at NtCreateSection entry
    ... it's not really related to DEP at all. ... Q. What versions of Windows support patch protection? ... hardware platforms or for 32-bit hardware platforms, ...
  • RE: Apps stop functioning with SP2 installed
    ... do you really have to flame people for seeking help from you when other beta ... this is supposed to be a technical support ... the application shouldnt matter since the issue is with DEP. ... I have added the various apps to the execute list, removed them, disabled ...
  • RE: Deactivating Data Execution Prevention with NXCOMPAT
    ... I think whether you mark the flag in your exe ... DEP configuration's perspective). ... Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead ... You can send feedback directly to my manager at: ...
  • Re: DEP question
    ... Full blown DEP isn't implemented unless running on hardware that supports it. ... So my original question stands - Am I missing something, or is Symantec's technical support wrong on this one? ... The really annoying thing about all this is the previous version of the product (before Symantec bought it) works perfectly on SP2, and the only visible differences are branding - no new functionality aside from LiveUpdate support AFAICT. ...
  • Re: XP Home sp2 DEP question
    ... Intel supports DEP on its Itanium processors... ... The Data Execution Prevention featured is ... > your processor doesn;t support DEP. ...