Re: Cannot Delete Registry Key

From: Brian Pritts (capn.elwood_at_gmail.com)
Date: 08/18/05

Date: 17 Aug 2005 17:07:37 -0700

Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately, I have done all of the prescribed steps. I have
assigned full control permissions on the invalid key, and have also
tried to take ownership of the key. For some reason, it will not allow
me to delete it. I am an administrator on this machine, and according
to the permissions on the bad key, I have full control. Any other
suggestions?

Thanks,
Brian

Wesley Vogel wrote:
> [...]
> and then click Permissions.
> c. Under Group or user names, click Administrators.
> d. Under Permissions for Administrators, make sure that the Allow check box
> for the following entries is selected:
> Full Control
> Read
> e. Click Apply, and then click OK.
> f. On the File menu, click Exit to quit Registry Editor.
>
> Open the Registry Editor again and see if you can delete the key now.
>
> If not, try this...
> Start | Run | Type: regedit | OK |
> Navigate to >>>
> the said key
> Right click the key in the left hand pane | Permissions... | Advanced
> button | Owner tab | click the new owner and then click OK.
>
> [[You can take ownership of a registry key if you are logged on as an
> administrator or if you have been specifically assigned the permission to
> take ownership of the registry key by the current owner. ]]
>
> See permissions, registry in Registry Editor HELP.
>
> To assign permissions to a registry key
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/regedit_permit_key.mspx
>
> To assign special access to a registry key
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/regedit_assign_specacc.mspx
>
> To grant Full Control of a registry key
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/regedit_yield_own.mspx
>
> To add users or groups to the audit list
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/regedit_audit_key_adduser.mspx
>
> To add users or groups to the Permissions list
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/regedit_permit_key_adduser.mspx
>
> To remove a user or group from the Permissions list
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/regedit_permit_key_remove.mspx
>
> To take ownership of a registry key
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/regedit_take_own.mspx
>

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:1124322456.709020.264370@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com,
> Brian Pritts <capn.elwood@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Hello, I am in the process of cleaning spyware off of a computer and
> > have almost completely cleaned it. However, one registry key remains
> > that just will not go away. The key is
> > HKLM\Software\ShudderLTD\PSGuard. I have tried to use regedt32 and
> > take ownership of this key, and I am logged in as an administrator of
> > this machine. I continually get a cannot delete registry key error.
> > Also, this is the only problem that is found in Spybot, and spybot will
> > not "fix" the problem either.
> >
> > I have done all the major spyware and virus sweeps in safe mode, and
> > have followed normal best practices for removing spyware. This one key

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Service Pack 3 - Access Denied?
    ... resetting registry key permissions trashed my system every single time - it ... You may think you are the Administrator, but in reality you probably aren't. ... If your logged-in account identity is labeled "Computer Administrator" (under ... operating system files and the all branches of the "Windows Registry." ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: 0x80070005 / _Inventory: Installer returned 0x5 (5)
    ... |> Access Denied is a hard one to determine where the keys are failing - ... Navigate to the following key in the registry: ... and then click Permissions. ... |> For Administrator and System, select the Allow check boxes next to Full Control ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • RE: services running in windows domain (winXP clients)
    ... registry changes and permissions. ... i mean if someone is administrator can change the ... (Maybe create a group policy setting this ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Re: 0x80070005
    ... Also check the permissions in the following registry keys: ... SYSTEM and Admins should have full control. ... If your problem is relating to the Automatic Update Service about not be able to ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: 0x80070005 in Windows Update