Re: possible bug/flaw in windows xp home edition

From: Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\) (mike.hall.mail_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: 08/14/05

Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 11:02:42 -0400

Malke

I think that you may have Shenan's gender wrong.. I always understood that
Shenan was a girl's name.. even in Australia, it is a girl's name.. lol..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Froggy wrote:
>
>> Thanks for you reply stanley even if it was abit cheeky :)
>>
>> With regards to the security tab that I said does not exsist except
>> for in the XP professional version, you gave me a link for a page
>> telling you how to turn off simple file sharing and thus get the
>> security tab to appear for files.
>>
>> If you refer to the introduction on this page
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307874
>>
>> You will see this note
>>
>> "Note You cannot turn off simple file sharing in Microsoft Windows XP
>> Home Edition."
>>
>> Thus there is no security tab to change the permissions.  This is why
>> believe this to be a bug.  I have tried logging in as an administrator
>> and using the attrib command from prompt but all I get is access
>> denied or not changing hidden file etc etc etc.
>>
>> Got any more suggestions or possible ways I could get around it?
>> ...get xp pro? :)
>
> It is not a bug. XP Home is designed to only use simple sharing. Whether
> you like it or not is another issue. Mr. Stanley told you how to access
> the security tab in XP Home - by going into Safe Mode and logging into
> an account with administrator privileges.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Relevant Pages

  • Re: disable print dialog window
    ... I'm using Windows XP Home. ... folder options. ... no security tab for my printer. ... UNcheck "Use simple file sharing." ...
  • Re: Cant set file/folder security XP (Security Tab not available)
    ... you need to turn off Simple File Sharing. ... In Windows Explorer go to Tools, Folder Options, View. ... the Security tab is only visible when you log in to an Administrator level account in Safe Mode. ...
  • Re: Granting ASP.NET write access to a file
    ... It sounds like you're using Windows XP. ... To enable the security tab you must disable simple file sharing. ... open any windows explorer window and choose Folder Options from ... Scroll to the bottom of the list and uncheck the Use Simple File Sharing ...
  • Re: Missing security tab
    ... You can not disable Simple File sharing in Home, ... An easier way to read newsgroup messages: ... I am running a single NTFS partition, Windows XP SP1a on ... > computers in my network are missing the security tab. ...
  • Re: possible bug/flaw in windows xp home edition
    ... > With regards to the security tab that I said does not exsist except ... > "Note You cannot turn off simple file sharing in Microsoft Windows XP ... I have tried logging in as an administrator ... an account with administrator privileges. ...