Re: Group Policy Security setting could not be determined

From: Tricky Ricky (tricksda_at_mindspring.com)
Date: 08/13/05

    Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 21:41:29 -0600

    Doug, thanks for the tip. Totaly solved my problem.Now I move onto my
    network issues. Thanks again!

    "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
    Hi,

    Ok, it figures. Now, I can find the command I was looking for.

    esentutl /p %windir%\security\database\secedit.sdb

    I have had the same error, quite a while back, and this is what fixed it for
    me.

    --
    Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
    Display\Security
    "Tricky Ricky" <tricksda@mindspring.com> wrote in message

    > Doug, thank you for your help. Unfortunately I was not able to apply this
    > my problem as I am not receiving these error messages. Upon searching for
    > articles based on the information you supplied, I found
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313222. I applied
    > this repair but again I still receive the same DB error. On the plus side
    > MY
    > network places actually shows me my local shared resources on my laptop
    > but
    > I am still unable to view other workgroup computers. I have also turned
    > off
    > ICF as I am using am SMC Barracade SMC7004ABR Router. The other two
    > desktops
    > comp are all good.
    >
    > Any other ideas? Thank you for your time.
    >
    > "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278316
    > ESENT event IDs 1000, 1202, 412, and 454 are logged repeatedly in the
    > Application log
    >
    > While this article does not specifically address your error, it will solve
    > your problem.
    >
    > --
    > Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
    > Display\Security
    > Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    > http://www.dougknox.com
    > --------------------------------
    > --------------------------------
    > Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >
    > "Tricky Ricky" <tricksda@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Upon investigation of the Local Security Policies I receive this nasty
    >> little massage, "The Group Policy security settings that apply to this
    >> machine could not be determined. The error returned when trying to
    >> receive
    >> these settings from the local security policy database
    >> (%windir%\security\database\secedit.sdb) was: The parameter is incorrect.
    >> All local security settings will be displayed, but no indication will be
    >> given as to whether or not a give security setting is defined by Group
    >> Policy. Any local security settings modified through this user Interface
    >> may
    >> subsequently be overwritten by domain -level policies."
    >>
    >> Could this be the cause of my local workgroup issues? I am not able to
    >> access recources between my desktop and laptop an ACER Travelmate 4000
    >> 1.4Gz 512RAM both XPPro on NTFS. I can see the computers in the workgroup
    >> but due to
    >> some unknown  permission issue "[network name] is not accessible. you
    >> might
    >> not have permission to use this network resource. "Contact admin ...
    >> to find out if you have access permission. The list server for this work
    >> group is not currently available".of some importance but I am obviously
    >> concerned about my Local Security Policies.
    >>
    >> Any insight will be most appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thank you for your time, Da Gator.

    • Re: Big networking problems
      ... network, and thus the internet, but cannot connect to the home computer. ... Administrative Tools in my home comp, Local Security Settings, Local ... Saying "Could not assign Local Policy setting. ...
    • The Group Policy security settings that apply to this machinecould not be determined.
      ... that has issues is the laptop an ACER TravelMate 4000 laptop. ... "network is not accessible. ... All local security settings will be displayed, ...
    • Re: Trojan or bugs?
      ... In Local Security Policy security settings/local policies/user rights ... assignments - access this computer from the network. ... list for the setting you should have the option to uncheck unwanted entries. ... >> below to reset your local security settings to default defined levels. ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
    • Re: Compatability with XP Pro and Home Networking
      ... Thanks Doug. ... the data files that I want to migrate to my new laptop. ... MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security ... laptop up using "Network Connections" I did specify print and file sharing ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
    • Re: Cannot connect to other PC !
      ... >We see each other in LAN ... On XP Pro with SFS disabled, check the Local Security Policies (Control Panel - ... "Network access: Sharing and security model", and ensure it's set to "Classic - ... non-blank password on all computers. ...