Re: SP2 Downloading

From: Eclectic Hiker (EclecticHiker_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 08/10/05

Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 16:54:44 -0700

I could not get the PC to work after uninstalling SP2. I just gave up,
backed up my system, reformatted by drive, and started over, this time
without SP2. Screw SP2. I will never install it. In fact, I hear that a
major chip maker has a policy of not installing SP2 on its own network; there
must be a reason: SP2 is a noose.

"blue27" wrote:

> I have the same problem...has anyone found a solution yet?
>
> "Eclectic Hiker" wrote:
>
> > Ever since installing SP2, I have the same problem with ALL downloads. I
> > have enabled file downloading in security settings. I have the download
> > domain listed as trusted. It is not a pop-up issue. I have read many posts
> > on this issue, and I have yet to see an answer. All listed and intuitive
> > methods of fixing this SP2 problem have failed. What is the "secret" answer?
> > Thanks!
> >
> > "redraidertom" wrote:
> >
> > > I get a message saying my security settings will not allow a file to be
> > > opened...this has occurred immediately after loading SP2. It happens with any
> > > file, even ones I know are safe. I have checked my security settings and set
> > > them at the lowest setting to allow any download. Still does not work.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Help, confused, Lost!!!!!!
    ... I installed SP2 and Trend Micro Anitvirus yesterday. ... I'm not sure if I do that in Safe Mode or not. ... restore picking a point just prior to the attempt at installing Sp2. ... The thing about installing SP2 is you really need to read up on the 'what to ...
  • Re: Cannot open IE, cannot read OE email after installing Windows
    ... HijackThis log, Trixie? ... Remember to visit Windows Update after installing SP2 for post-SP2 patches/updates you may need. ...
  • Re: Security Update KB918899
    ... One of the biggest headaches when attempting to install SP2 was the presence ... My take on how best to clean up the system prior to installing SP2 is below. ... You will also need to download Spyware removal software.. ... gave me a blue screen on bootup, so I rolled back the drivers. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
  • Re: Security Update KB918899
    ... One of the biggest headaches when attempting to install SP2 was the presence ... download, 270mb, so you will need access to high speed internet. ... My take on how best to clean up the system prior to installing SP2 is below. ... gave me a blue screen on bootup, so I rolled back the drivers. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
  • Re: Church computer, win xp 2002, needs updates - internet not an opti
    ... | systems, you'll need to install SP2 first, just as today you cannot get ... | updates for RTM systems, you must install at least SP1 first. ... This computer has "no ethernet connection nor is there a modem in the ... Installing SP2 merely 'uncovered' the real status of those ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)