Proxy & VPN

From: Michael Metzger (MichaelMetzger_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 08/09/05

Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 23:19:08 -0700

Hello everybody!

OS = XP SP2

By GPO th IE ist told to use a proxyserver (ISA2004).

Users are not allowed to leave the corporate network for internet traffic
without using the proxy, spezified on the firewall.

Administrative Computers are allowed, for testing reasons, but normally
still use the proxy. Administrative Computers are also allowd to establish
VPN connections outside. (Simple PPTP MS VPN)

Leaving the corportate network for Internettraffic over the proxy server
makes the outside world see a different IP than leaving it just over the
firewall, thats the reason why I found out th efollwing issue:

What happened is, I established a VPN connection outside and was using IE at
the same time. Although the IE was correctly configured to use the proxy
server, it didnĀ“t, but went straight throught the firewall. As soon as i
disconnected the VPN connection, everything was fine again. This issue did
not happen when trying the same thing with firefox.

Does anybody know reasons for that?

Thanks,

Michael

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Home users with VPN connections
    ... >infection or access to the corporate network. ... >VPN users connecting to the corporate network as far as Password ... I guess that means you (or whoever wantsa vpn connection the the ... What if the corporation has a PIX or some other expensive firewall ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Exchange/Outlook access thru VPN
    ... I'm setting up IPSec VPN connection to our corporate network. ... I don't want users to browse shared folders (and ... the users to be able to access their Exchange 5.5 mailbox with Outlook thru ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
  • Re: Netmeeting over VPN
    ... this is a good move to open up your entire corporate network to the ... Internet via your VPN connection. ... >> I am able to connect with my son on Netmeeting when on my Wireless LAN, ...
    (microsoft.public.internet.netmeeting)
  • Re: Mysterious delay on first use of HttpWebRequest.GetRequestStream
    ... When I started researching a project that uses HttpWebRequest I noticed the ... Other HTTP access over the VPN connection to the same ... | are configured to never use a proxy, with automatic detection disabled, ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.framework)
  • 2 NICs + Site-to-Site VPN + Http proxy = problem
    ... This proxy is behind the public network interface. ... I configured a Site-to-Site VPN connection between this computer ... directly to the gateway of the public network card. ...