Re: XP Pro shares not accessible

From: GTS (x)
Date: 08/04/05

Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 10:49:06 -0400

- Double check that you have no 3rd party firewall running.
- On the XP Pro machines which should be set to Simple File Sharing, run
>net user guest /active:yes to make sure the guest account is enabled.
- If that doesn't help, open a command prompt. From one of the Home
machines try to map to a share on a problem Pro machine with the net
command..
net use \\netname\shaername If this fails, what error code is reported?

--
"Bruce Chastain" <bchastain@XNOSPAMXhyperfeed.com> wrote in message
>I have 3 XP Home systems networked together.  All can access the drive and
>directory shares of each other.
>
> I also have an XP Pro on the same network, and none of the XP Home systems
> can access the shares of the XP Pro system.  Not even the Shared Documents
> folder.  While the XP home systems can see the shares in My Network
> Places, attempts to access those shares is denied, saying that I may not
> have permission and to contact the system administrator.
>
> I've looked at the drive/directory Permissions and Security and can't find
> anything obviously wrong.
>
> I also tried enabling Simple File Sharing on the XP Pro system, and same
> thing.  All of the XP Home systems are denied access to the XP Pro shares.
> FYI, after enabling  Simple File Sharing, all shares were deleted and
> recreated.
>
> FYI, all systems are on SP2, have the XP firewall disabled, and all
> systems are using the same identical userid and password.
>
> What do I need to do to allow the XP Home systems to access the shares of
> the XP Pro system?
>
> Thanks very much,
> Bruce.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: resetting security settings to "out of the box" ?
    ... I gather NTFS permissions are in the same area as the general shares setup? ... That all disappears in XP Pro when you re-select "simple file sharing". ... Does the Mac NTLM come with Mac OS X? ...
  • Re: XP Pro shares not accessible
    ... > If Simple File Sharing was disabled when you first shared the folders you ... Both the XP Pro and XP Home systems are logged on using the identical userid ... The Xp Pro shares are still not accessable. ... > machines and see if you can now access the folders. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • XP Pro shares not accessible
    ... I have 3 XP Home systems networked together. ... I also have an XP Pro on the same network, and none of the XP Home systems ... can access the shares of the XP Pro system. ... While the XP home systems can see the shares in My Network Places, ...
  • Re: Upgraded PC to XP Pro Cant Figure Out how to set up peer to peer Network
    ... allows everyone to access shares as guest. ... options/view and unselect the last item "use simple file sharing if you want to ... trying to access the share over the network. ... With W2K Pro I used tcp\ip w/o problems for file sharing. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)
  • Re: XP Pro shares not accessible
    ... Can you see the Pro machine on the network? ... >I have 3 XP Home systems networked together. ... > can access the shares of the XP Pro system. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)