Controlling Network Authentication in XP

From: MalNSF (malnsf_at_msn.com)
Date: 07/27/05

Date: 27 Jul 2005 09:10:03 -0700

Good Morning.

I have searched everywhere and I cannot find a clear answer to what I
hope is a simple question.

I have a home network with 3 computers. A Windows 2000 PRO acting as
my server, A Windows XP desktop and an Windows XP Laptop.

When I try to go to shared files on the Windows 2000 machine either by
browsing or typing the ip address in the run command (i.e.
\\192.168.XX.XXX) a logon window appears requiring me to enter my
Windows 2000 user name and password.

When I do the same thing trying to get to my Windows XP machine, the
shared files just appear and I have access to them. I am using
different user names and passwords on each system. I would like the
windows XP machines to authenticate the same way the windows 2000
machine does by asking for a user name and password before granting
access to any shared files on the computer.

The reason is that I have a home office and because of the VPN tunnel,
my home computers are accessible from other offices. I want to have
this feature for when I am on the road, but I don't want other people
to be able to access my home office.

Thank you in advance, any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
MalNSF

Relevant Pages

  • Help with 070-217
    ... The network contains 25,000 computers. ... single Windows 2000 domain named research.contoso.com. ... Server computers that are configured as domain controllers. ...
    (microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse)
  • Re: Help with 070-217
    ... The network contains 25,000 computers. ... > single Windows 2000 domain named research.contoso.com. ... > Server computers that are configured as domain controllers. ...
    (microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse)
  • RE: Help with 070-217
    ... The network contains 25,000 computers. ... > single Windows 2000 domain named research.contoso.com. ... > Server computers that are configured as domain controllers. ...
    (microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse)
  • Re: upgrading frm XP Home to Pro
    ... Why do you think you need Windows XP Professional? ... won't and we need to upgrade all the computers to Pro. ... You bought a server to 'network your computers' and so you can ... software) would give you the same abilities as 'Remote Desktop' ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: In the Shallow End
    ... Yes, with Apple finally getting in there, technology is finally moving along nicely again. ... What they like to do is use the Windows desktop as data gathering frontends to these operations. ... They had other plans for Java, ... They make computers for the elite. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)