Controlling Network Authentication in XP

From: MalNSF (
Date: 07/27/05

Date: 27 Jul 2005 09:10:03 -0700

Good Morning.

I have searched everywhere and I cannot find a clear answer to what I
hope is a simple question.

I have a home network with 3 computers. A Windows 2000 PRO acting as
my server, A Windows XP desktop and an Windows XP Laptop.

When I try to go to shared files on the Windows 2000 machine either by
browsing or typing the ip address in the run command (i.e.
\\192.168.XX.XXX) a logon window appears requiring me to enter my
Windows 2000 user name and password.

When I do the same thing trying to get to my Windows XP machine, the
shared files just appear and I have access to them. I am using
different user names and passwords on each system. I would like the
windows XP machines to authenticate the same way the windows 2000
machine does by asking for a user name and password before granting
access to any shared files on the computer.

The reason is that I have a home office and because of the VPN tunnel,
my home computers are accessible from other offices. I want to have
this feature for when I am on the road, but I don't want other people
to be able to access my home office.

Thank you in advance, any help would be appreciated.