Re: Windows firewall advanced settings

From: Mike (Mike_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 07/26/05

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 01:21:07 -0700

Thanks for the reply, Doug.
If I don't use Windows Messenger, should I uncheck those exceptions?
Mike

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

> These are for Windows Messenger, and are the UDP and TCP/IP ports that its using to communicate with the rest of the world.
>
> --
> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:15A9ADD5-A453-472E-BBE5-11394C8E1AAA@microsoft.com...
> >I noticed on my Windows Firewall under advanced settings in my Wireless
> > Network Connection the following:
> > Select the services running on your network that internet users can access:
> > The following 2 items are the only ones checked:
> > MSMSGS 13546 UDP
> > MSMSGS 16786 TCP
> > I don't know what these are or whether or not I need them to be activated.
> > My gut is to uncheck them.
> > Would someone explain these to me or give me a reference.
> > Thanks,
> > Mike

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Remove RUN from start menu
    ... MS-MVP Windows XP/ Windows Smart Display ... >>Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows XP/ Windows Smart Display ... >>Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro ...
  • Re: Feel Duped by Microsoft with MCE NOT being allowed to join DOM
    ... Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro ... >>> of a domain, you'll have no trouble, just the same as you can do with Windows ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: XP reinstall error message
    ... MS-MVP Windows XP/ Windows Smart Display ... >>Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro ...
  • RE: Remote Web Workplace client (IE7)
    ... Enable Desktop background, Show contents of windows while dragging, Menu ... The difference when you check or uncheck the option "I'm using a public or ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ... This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Error 1606
    ... MS-MVP Windows XP/ Windows Smart Display ... > ion\Explorer\Shell Folders] ... >>Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro ...